Automatic interpretation of awaked EEG by using constructive neural networks with forgetting factor
- Nakamura, Masatoshi (Department of Electrical Engineering, Saga University, Honjomachi) ;
- Chen, Yvette (Department of Electrical Engineering, Saga University) ;
- Sugi, Takenao (Department of Electrical Engineering, Saga University) ;
- Ikeda Akio (Department of Brain Pathophysiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University) ;
- Shibasaki Hiroshi (Department of Brain Pathophysiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University)
- Published : 1995.10.01
The automatic interpretation of awake background electroencephalogram (EEG), consisting of quantitative EEG interpretation and EEG report making, has been developed by the authors based on EEG data visually inspected by an electroencephalographer (EEGer). The present study was focused on the adaptability of the automatic EEG interpretation which was accomplished by the constructive neural network with forgetting factor. The artificial neural network (ANN) was constructed so as to give the integrative decision of the EEG by using the input signals of the intermediate judgment of 13 items of the EEG. The feature of the ANN was that it adapted to any EEGer who gave visual inspection for the training data. The developed method was evaluated based on the EEG data of 57 patients. The re-trained ANN adapted to another EEGer appropriately.