- Volume 16 Issue 1
A computationally-efficient approach to the calculation of the transient field of an acoustic radiator was developed. With this approach, a planar or curved source, radiating either continuous or pulsed waves, is divided into a finite number of shifted and/or rotated versions of an incremental source such that the Fraunhofer approximation holds at each field point. The acoustic field from the incremental source is given by a 2-D spatial Fourier transform. The diffraction transfer function of the entire source can be expressed as a sum of Fraunhofer diffraction pattern of the incremental sources with the appropriate coordinate transformations for the particular geometry of the radiator. For a given spectrum of radiator velocity, the transient field can be computed directly in the frequency domain using the diffraction transfer function. To determine the accuracy of the proposed approach, the impulse response was derived using the inverse Fourier transform. The results obtained agree well with published data obtained using the impulse response approach. The computational efficiency of the proposed method compares favorably to those of the point source method and the impulse response approach.
- J. Acoust. Soc. Am. v.49 no.5 Transient Radiation from Pistons in an Infinite Planar Baffle Stepanishen, P.R.
- IEEE Ultrasonic Symp. Proc. Wide Bandwidth Acoustic Near and Far Field Transients from Baffled Pistons Stepanishen, P.R.
- J. Acoust. Soc. Am. v.70 no.4 Acoustic Transients from Planar Axisymmetric Vibrators Using the Impulse Response Approach Stepanishen, P.R.
- J. Acoust. Soc. Am. v.70 no.1 Review of Transient Field Theory for a Baffled Planar Piston Harris, G.R.
- J. Acoust. Soc. Am. v.71 no.4 Nearfield and Farfield of Pulsed Acoustic Radiators Tjotta, J.N.;Tjotta, S.
- J. Acoust. Soc. Am. v.53 no.3 High-Speed Method for Computing the Exact Solution for the Pressure Vibrations in the Nearfield of a Baffled Pistion Lockwood, J.C.;Willette, J.G.
- J. Acoust. Soc. Am. v.78 no.3 A New Approach to the Derivation of the Impulse Response of a Rectangular Piston Scarano, G.;Denisenko, N.;Matteucci, M.;Pappalardo, M.
- IEEE Trans. Son. Ultrason. v.SU-29 no.2 Acoustic Fields of Conical Radiators Patterson, M.S.;Foster, F.S.
- Ultrasonic Imaging no.3 Transient Fields of Concave Annular Arrays Arditi, M.;Forster, F.S.;Hunt, J.W.
- J. Acoust. Soc. Am. v.75 no.6 The Impulse Response of a Focused Source with an Arbitrary Axisymmetric Surface Velocity Distribution Verhoef, W.A.;Cloostermans, M.J.T.M.;Thijssen, J.M.
- J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. no.9 The Impulse Response and Pressure Nearfield of a Curved Ultrasonic Radiator Penttinen, A.;Luukkala, M.
- J. Acoust. Soc. Am. v.76 no.1 Acoustic Diffraction Analysis by the Impulse Response Method: A Line Impulse Response Approach Lasota, H.;Salamon, R.;Delannoy
- IEEE Trans. Son. Ultrason. v.SU-29 no.2 An Approximate Solution of the Transient Acoustic Field Denisenko, N.;Scarano, G.;Matteucci, M.;Pappalardo, M.
- J. Acoust. Soc. Am. v.49 no.1 Beam Behavior within the Nearfield of a Vibration Piston Zemanek, J.
- Ultrasonics Radiation Field Calculations of Pulsed Ultrasonic Transducers: Part I - Planar Circular, Square and Annular Transducers Weyns, A.
- Ultrasonics Radiation Field Calculations of Pulsed Ultrasonic Transducers: Part II - Spherical Disc- and Ring-Shaped Transducers Weyns, A.
- J. Acoust. Soc. Am. v.80 no.4 Ultrasound Fields in Atteuating Media Lerch, R.;Friedrich, W.
- Introduction to Fourier Optics Goodman, J.W.
- Theoretical Acoustics Morse, P.M.;Ingard, K.U.
- IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Contr. v.UFFC-36 no.2 Sound Field Calculation for Rectangular Sources Ocheltree, K.B.;Frizzell, L.A.
- IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Contr. v.UFFC-39 no.1 Computationally Efficient Sound Field Calculations for a Circular Array Transducer Lee, C.K.;Benkeser, P.J.