- Volume 27 Issue 7
Effect of ischemic preconditioning on left ventricular function after cardiac arrest in isolated rat heart.Ischemic preconditioning reduces infarct size caused by sustained ischemia. However, the effects of preconditioning on post ischemic cardiac function are not well-known. The objective of the present study was to determine whether preconditioning would improve the recovery of left ventricular functions after cardiac arrest in isolated rat heart model.Isolated rat hearts were allowed to equilibrate for 20 minutes and were then subjected to either 5 minutes of global, normothermic transient ischemia [Group 2 and 4] or not [Group 3]. A stabilization period of perfusion lasting 5 minutes after the termination of transient ischemia was followed by a standard global, normothermic 20 minute-ischemia and 35-minute reperfusion challenge [Group 3 and 4]. These following results were odtained.1. The recovery of left ventricular developed pressures showed no significant differences between Group 3 and Group 4 at 50 [P>0.3] and 85 minute [P>0.2].2. Heart rates showed no significant differences throughout all the course of experiment and between groups [P>0.5].3. The recovery of left ventricular maximum dP/dt showed no significant differences between Group 3 and Group 4 at 50 [P>0.1] and 85 minute [P>0.2].4. The recovery of pressure-rate products showed no significant differences between Group3 and Group 4 at 50 [P>0.5] and 85 minute [P>0.1].These results suggest that ischemic preconditioning does not provide significant benefit for the postischemic left ventricular functions in isolated rat hearts.
- Circulation v.74 Preconditioning with ischemia: a delay of lethal cell injury in ischemic myocardium Murry,C.E.;Jennings,R.B.;Reimer,K.A.
- Am Heart J v.120 Myocardial stunning in dogs: preconditioning effect and influence of coronary collateral flow Cohen,M.V.;Downey,J.M.
- Coron Artery Dis v.1 Free-radiacal scavegers preserve wall motion in the xanthine oxidase-deficient rabbit heart Matsuki,T.;Cohen,M.V.;Downey,J.M.
- Circ Res v.38 Mitochondrial structure and function in acute myocardial ischemic injury Jennings,R.B.;Ganote,C.E.
- Circulation v.82 Myocardial protection with preconditionig Li,G.;Vasquez,J.;Gallagher,K.;Lucchesi,B.
- Circ Res v.66 Ischemic preconditioning reduces infarct size in swine myocardium Schott,R.J.;Rohmann,S.;Braun,E.R.;Schaper,W.
- Am J Physiol v.259 Inhibition of protein synthesis does not block myocardial protection afforded by preconditioning Thornton,J.;Stirplin,S.;Liu,G.S.(et al.)
- J Mol Cell Cardiol v.24 Ischemic preconditioning and contractile function: studies with normothermic and hypothermic global ischemia Cave,A.C.;Hearse,D.J.
- Circulation v.84 Preconditioning causes improved wall motion as well as smaller infarcts after transient coronary occlusion in rabbits Cohen,M.V.;Liu,G.S.;Downey,J.M.
- Circulation v.84 no.suppl 2 Adenosine: an endogenous protectant against staccato ischemia [abst] Bunch,F.T.;Thornton,J.;Downey,J.M.
- Circulation v.84 no.suppl 2 The role of adenosine and its Al-receptor in ischemic preconditioning[abst] Schwarz,E.R.;Mohri,M.;Sack,S.;Arras,M.
- Circulation v.84 no.suppl 2 Augmentation of adenosine production during ischemia as a possible mechanism of myocardial protection in ischemic preconditioning[abst] Kitakaze,M.;Hori,M.;Takashima,S.;Sato,H.;Kamada,T.
- Circulation v.84 no.suppl 2 Role of adenosine receptor activation in infarct size limitation by preconditioning in the heart[abst] Tsuchida,A.;Miura,T.;Iimura,O.
- Circulation v.84 no.suppl 2 Dipyridamole potentiates the myocardial infarct size-limiting effect of preconditioning[abst] Miura,T.;Ogawa,T.;Iwamoto,T.;Iimura,O.
- Circulation v.85 Preconditioning does not attenuate myocardial stunning Ovize,M.;Przyklenk,K.;Hale,S.L.;Kloner,R.A.
- Circulation v.82 Myocardial protection with preconditioning Li,G.;Vasquez,J.;Gallagher,K.;Lucchesi,B.
- Coron Artery Dis v.2 The natural history of preconditioning: cardioprotection depends on duration of transient ischemia and time to subsequent ischemia Van Winkle,D.M.;Thorton,J.;Downey,D.M.;Downey,J.M.
- Circulation v.82 no.Suppl 3 Infarction size limiting effect of preconditioning: its duration and dose-response relationship [abst] Miura,T.;Ogawa.T.;Iwamoto.T.;Tsuchida,A.;Iimura,O.
- Am J Physiol v.260 Myocardial protection is lost before contractile function recovers from ischemic preconditioning Murry,C.E.;Richard,V.J.;Jennings,R.B.;Reimer,K.A.
- Am J Physiol v.253 Preconditioning of ischemic myocardium: reperfusion-induced arrhythymias Shiki,K.;Hearse,D.J.
- Cardiovasc Res v.24 Protective effects of preconditioning of the ischemic myocardium involve cyclo-oxygenase products Vegh,A.;Sekeres,L.;Parratt,J.R.
- Am J Cardiovasc Pathol v.4 Cyclooxygenase products are not involved in the protection against myocardial infarction afforded by preconditioning in rabbit Liu,G.S.;Stanley,A.W.H.;Downey,J.M.
- Circ Res v.66 Ischemic preconditioning slows energy metabolism and delays ultrastructural damage during a sustained ischemic episode Murry,C,;Richard,V.;Reimer,K.;Jennigs,R.
- Am J Physiol v.257 Adenosine stimulates glycolytic flux in isolated perfused rat hearts by Al-adenosine receptors Wyatt,D.A.;Edmunds,M.C.;Rubio,R.;Berne,R.M.;Lasley,R.D.;Mentzer,R.M.Jr.
- Am J Physiol v.263 Ischemic preconditioning protects against infarction in the rat heart Liu,Y.;Downey,J.M.
Am J Physiol
Coupling of ATP-sensitive
$K^+$channels to Al receptors by G proteins in rat ventricular myocytes Kirsch,G.E.;Codina,J.;Birnbaumer,L.;Brown,A.M.
- Circ Res v.70 Blockade of ATP-sensitive potassium channels prevents myocardial preconditioning in dog[abst] Gross,G.J.;Auchampach,J.A.
- Circulation v.82 Adoptation to ischemia during percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty: clinical, hemodynamic, and metabolic features Deutsch,E.;Berger,M.;Kussmaul,W.G.;Hirshfeld,J.W.Jr.;Hermann,H.C.;Laskey,W.K.