Identification and Determination of Dietary Fibers and Flavonoids in Pulp and Peel of Korean Tangerine (Citrus aurantium var.)

감귤과육 및 과피의 식이섬유와 플라보노이드 검색 및 정량

  • Eun, Jong-Bang (Department of Foods Science and Technology, Chonnam National University) ;
  • Jung, Young-Min (Department of Foods Science and Technology, Chonnam National University) ;
  • Woo, Gun-Jo (Department of Foods and Nutrition, Ehwa Women's University)
  • 은종방 (전남대학교 식품공학과) ;
  • 정영민 (전남대학교 식품공학과) ;
  • 우건조 (이화여자대학교 식품영양학과)
  • Published : 1996.04.30

Abstract

Potential health promoting effects such as antiallergic, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, anticancer and anticarcinogenic properties have been ascribed to citrus flavonoids. Dietary fibers have also been used as functional food components due to the various beneficial physiological activities. Two kinds of flavonoids, naringin and hesperidin, were identified both in the pulp and in the peel of Korean tangerine. The contents of naringin and hesperidin in the pulp were 2.95 mg/100 g and 0.53 mg/100 g, respectively. However, the contents of naringin and hesperidin in the peel were much higher (10.77 mg/100 g and 38.90 mg/100 g) thanthose of two identified flavonoids in the pulp. The content of soluble dietary fiber (SDF) in the pulp of tangerine was 1.90%, insoluble dietary fiber (IDF) 0.37%, and total dietary fiber (TDF) 2.27% based on wet matter, respectively. The content of SDF was 1.09%, IDF 4.77% and TDF 1.86% in the peel of tangerine. The total pectin content was 1.53% in the pulp and 0.94% in the peel of tangerine. The peel of Korean tangerine, a by product in tangerine processing, would be a good source for the production of naringin, hesperidin and pectin.

Keywords

flavonoids;dietary fibers;Korean tangerine