- Volume 20 Issue 6
The constrained melting inside an isothermally heated horizontal cylinder has been repeatedly investigated in many studies only for the moderate Rayleigh numbers. This study extends the range of Rayleigh numbers to systematically investigate the transition during melting processes, especially focusing on the complex multi-cellular flow pattern and thermal instability. The enthalpy-porosity formulation, with appropriate source terms to account for the phase change, is employed. For low Rayleigh numbers, initially developed single-cell base flow keeps the flow stable. For moderate Rayleigh numbers, even small disturbances in balance between thermal buoyance force and viscous force result in branched flow structure. For high Rayleight numbers, Benard type convection is found to develop within a narrow gap between thee wall and the unmelted solid. The marginal Rayleigh number and the corresponding wave number are in excellent agreement with those from linear stability theory.
Melting;Thermal Instability;Multi-Cellular Flow;Enthalpy Method
- 대한기계학회논문집 v.10 no.4 좌표변환에 의한 상변화 과정의 수치해석 유호선;노승탁
- Proc. 10th Int. Heat Transfer Conf. Numerical Investigation on Bifurcative Natural Convection in an Air-Filled Horizontal Annulus Kim, C. -J;Ro, S. T.
- Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer v.27 Heat Transfer during Inward Melting in a Horizontal Tube Ho, C. J.;Viskanta, R.
- Numerical Heat Transfer v.19B General Source-Based Method for Solidification Phase Change Voller, V. R.;Swaminathan, C. R.
- J. Heat Transfer v.104 High Rayleigh Number Solutions to Problems of Latent Heat Thermal Energy Storage in a Horizontal Cylinder Capsule Saitoh, T;Hirose, K
- Numerical Heat Transfer v.24B A Comparison of Different Solution Methodologies for Melting and Solidification Problems in Enclosures Viswanath, R.;Jaluria, Y
- Numerical Heat Transfer v.17B Finite Difference Solutions of Solidification Phase Change Problems: Transformed Versus Fixed Grids Lacroix, M.;Voller, V. R.
- J. Heat Transfer v.112 Unsteady Multicellular Natural Convection in a Narrow Horizontal Cylindrical Annulus Fant, D. B.;Prusa, J.;Rothmayer, A. P.
- Transport Phenomena in Heat and Mass Transfer (edited by J. A. Reizes) Bifurcating Solutions of Inward Melting in a Horizontal Tube Park, C. E.;Chang, K. S.
- J. Heat transfer v.108 Melting and Solidification of a Pure Metal on a Vertical Wall Gau, C.;Viskanta, R.
- Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer v.37 Bifurcation Phenomenon during the Fixed-Solid-Mode Melting Inside a Horizontal Cylinder Ro, S. T.;Kim, C. J.
- Numerical heat transfer and fluid flow Patankar, S. V.
- J. Heat transfer v.114 Free Two-Dimensional Convective Bifurcation in a Horizontal Annulus Cheddadi, A.;Caltagirone, J. P.;Mojtabi, A.;Vafai, K.
- 대한기계학회논문집 v.17 no.8 수평원관내에서 과냉각 및 자연대류가 융해과정에 미치는 영향 서정세;김찬중;유제인;노승탁
- J. Heat Transfer v.105 Heat Transfer during Melting inside a Horizontal Tube Rieger, H.;Projahn, U;Bareiss, M;Beer, H.
- Hydrodynamic and hydro-magnetic stability Chandrasekhar, S.