- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Coupled Thermo-Viscoplastic Three Dimensional Finite Element Anaysis of Compression Molding of Sheet Molding Compound
열유동을 고려한 SMC 압축성형공정의 3차원 유한요소 해석
- Kim, Soo-Young ( Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Im, Yong-Taek ( Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology)
- Published : 1996.02.01
SMC(Sheet molding compound) is a thermosetting material reinforced with chopped fiberglass. The compression molding of SMC was analyzed based on a rigid thermo-viscoplastic approach using a three dimensional finite element program coupled with temperatures. Only the temperature analysis part was tested in this paper by solving one-dimensional heat transfer problem and comparing with the exact solutions available in the literature. Based on this comparison the program was proved to be valid and was further applied in solving compression molding of SMC between flat dies. To investigate the usefulness of a rigid thermo-viscoplastic approach in the compression molding analysis of SMC charge, compression of rectangular shaped SMC charge at plane strain and three dimensionalde formation condition was analyzed under the same condition as given in the literature. From this comparison it was found out that the rigid thermo-viscoplastic approach was useful in analyzing SMC compression molding between flat dies.
Finite Element Method;Preferential Flow;SMC;Sheet Molding Compound;Compression Molding
- Modern Plastics v.54 Rheology and Modeling Characteristics of Glass Reinforced Sheet Molding Compounds Marker, L. F.;Ford, B.
- ASME Trans., J. Appl. Mech. v.53 A Model for the Flow of a Chopped-Fiber Reinforced Polymer Compound in Compression Molding Barone, M. R.;Caulk, D. A.
- International Polymer Processing v.6 Flow Analysis of Sheet Molding Compound in Compression Molding Lee, L. J.;Fan, J. D.;Kim, J.;Im, Y. T.
- 대한기계학회 춘계학술대회 논문집(Ⅰ) SMC 압축성형에 관한 해석적 연구 조재호;김낙수
- Heat Transfer-SI Metric Edition Holman, J. P.
- Polymer Eng. and Sci. v.21 Rheological Characterization of Unsaturated Polyester Resin Sheet Molding Compound Silva-Neito, R. J.;Fisher, B. C.;Birley, A. W.
- Metal Forming and the Finite Element Method Kobayashi, S.;Oh, S. I.;Altan, T.
- Numerical Methods Dahlquist, G.;Bjorck, A.
- 한국소성가공학회지 v.4 SMC 압축성형공정의 3차원 유한요소해석 김수영;임용택
- J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech. v.24 Flow and Heat Transfer in Compression Mold Filling Lee, C. C.;Tucker, C. L.
- Polymer Eng. and Sci. v.26 Free Radical Polymerization Models for Simulating Reactive Processing Stevenson, J. F.
- ASME Trans., J. Eng. Ind. v.106 Simulation of Compression Molding for Fiber-Reinforced Thermosetting Polymers Lee, C. C.;Folgar, F.;Tucker, C. L.
- Polymer Composites v.2 The Rheology and Mold Flow of Polyester Sheet Molding Compounds Lee, L. J.;Marker, L. F.;Griffith, R. M.
- 대한기계학회논문집 no.18 SMC 압축성형의 열 및 유동에 관한 실험적 연구 김기택;정진호;임용택
- Polymer Engineering and Science v.19 An Approach toward the Reduction of Sink Marks in Sheet Molding Compound Smith, K. L.;Suh, N. P.
- Polymer Eng. and Sci. v.29 Core Analysis of Sheet Molding Compound in Molds with Substructures Fan, J. D.;Lee, L. J.;Kim, J.;Im, Y. T.
- Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer v.22 The Effect of Deformation and Thermoset Cure on Heat Conduction in a Chopped-fiber Reinforced Polymer during Compression Molding Barone, M. R.;Caulk, D. A.