- Volume 12 Issue 3
Reinforced soil structures may experience large local movements between soil and reinforcement. The failure modes of a reinforced structure depend on several factors which are governed by deformation and slipping of the reinforcement. In some cases, pulling out of the reinforcement may occur instead of rupturing, The growing use of geosynthetic liner system for storage of solid and liquid wastes has led to a number of slope instability problems where the synthetic liner may undergo a large amount of stretching and slipping as a result of the loading. The conventional finite element model for the soil-reinforcement interface uses a zero thickness joint element with normal and shear stiffnesses and can only accommodate a small amount of deformation. When a large slippage occurs, the model provides an i ncorrect mechanism for deformation. This paper presents a new interface finite element model which is able to simulate a large amount of slippage between soil and reinforcement. The formulation of the model is presented and the capability of the model is demonstrated using illustrative examples.
- Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. on Geotextiles v.3 The Finit Element Method of Analysis Applied to Soil-geotextile Andrews,K.Z.;McGown,A.;Wilson-Fahmy,R.F.;Mashhour,M.M.
- Finite Element Procedures in Engineering Analysis Bathe,K.J.
- Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering v.21 A Solution Method for Planar and Axisymmetric Contact Problems Bathe,K.J.;Chaudhary,A.
- Proc. Geosynthetics '93 Conference v.2 An Interpretation of the Pull-Out Test Chan,D.H.;Yi,C.T.;Scott,J.D.
- M.Sc. Thesis, The University of Alberta, Edmonton Geogrid Pull-out test in Clay Costalonga,M.A.R.
- International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics v.8 Thin-layer Element for Interfaces and Joints Desai,C.S.;Zaman,M.M.
- Proceeding of the Fourth International Conference on Geotextiles Geomembrane and Related Product Direct Shear and Pull-out Resistance at the Geotextile Interface Garbalewski,K.
- Com. and Geotech. v.7 An Interface Element Formulation for The Analysis of Soil Reinforcement Interaction Gens,A.;Caro,I.;Alonso,E.E.
- Journal of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering Division v.94 no.SM 3 A Model for the Mechanics of Jointed Rock Goodman,R.E.;Taylor,R.L.;Brekke,T.L.
- J. Eng. Mech. v.104 Finite Element Analysis of Contact Problems Herrmann,L.R.
- Methematical Methods of Physics Matthew,J.;Walker,R.L.
- J. Eng. Mech. v.118 no.12 Analysis and Implementation of Thin-layer Element for Interface and Joints Sharnia,K.G.;Desai,C.S.
- Pro. Int. Symop. on Earth Reinforcement Practice v.2 Discussions: Embankment Wu,J.T.H.