- Volume 21 Issue 12
An approximate analytical solution for the initial transient process of close-contact melting occurring between a phase change material kept at its melting temperature and an isothermally heated flat surface is derived. The model is so developed that it can cover both rectangular and circular cross-sectional solid blocks. Normalization of simplified model equations in reference to the steady solution enables the solution to be expressed in a generalized form depending on the liquid-to-solid density ratio only. A selected result shows an excellent agreement with the previously reported numerical data, which justifies the present approach. The solution appears to be capable of describing all the fundamental characteristics of the transient process. In particular, dependence of the solid descending velocity oft the density ratio at the early stage of melting is successfully resolved. The effects of other parameters except the density ratio on the transient behaviors are efficiently represented via the steady solution implied in the normalized result. A simple approximate method for estimating the effect of convection on heat transfer across the liquid film is also proposed.
Close-Contact Melting;Isothermal Heating;Liquid Film Thickness;Solid Descending Velocity
- 대한기계학회 논문집 v.21 no.9 종방향대류 및 고액밀도차가 고려된 접촉융해에 대한 해석해 유호선;홍희기;김찬중
- Convection Heat Transfer, 2nd ed. Bejan, A.
- J. Heat Transfer v.108 An Experimental and Analytical Study of Close-Contact Melting Moallemi, M. K.;Webb, B. W.;Viskanta, R.
- Trans. of the JAR v.13 Analytical Study on Transient Direct Contact Melting Phenomena Saito, A.;Kumano, H.;Okawa, S.;Yamashita, K.
- Conduction of Heat in Solids, 2nd ed. Carslaw, H. S.;Jaeger, J. C.
- Advances in Heat Transfer v.24 Contact Melting Heat Transfer and Lubrication Bejan, A.
- An Introduction to Fluid Dynamics Batchelor, G. K.
- J. Heat Transfer v.111 The Fundamentals of Sliding Contact Melting and Friction Bejan, A.
- Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer v.36 Numerical Method for Direct Contact Melting in Transient Process Hong, H.;Saito, A.