- Volume 21 Issue 8
The problem of structural topology optimization can be relaxed and converted into the optimal density distribution problem. The optimal density distribution must be post-processed to get the real shape of the structure. The extracted shape can then be used for the next process, which is usually shape optmization based on the boundary movement method. In the practical point of view, it is very important to get the optimal density distribution from which the corresponding shape can easily be extracted. Among many other factors, the presence of checker-board patterns is a powerful barrier for the shape extraction job. The nature of checker-board patterns seems to be a numerical locking. In this paper, an efficient algorithm is presented to suppress the checker-board patterns. At each iteration, density is re-distributed after it is updated according to the optimization rule. The algorithm also results in the optimal density distribution whose corresponding shape has smooth boundary. Some examples are presented to show the performance of the density re-distribution algorithm. Checker-board patterns are successfully suppressed and the resulting shapes are considered very satisfactory.
Topology Optimization;Shape Optimization;Structural Design
- Comm. Pure Appl. Math. v.39 Optimal Design and Relaxation of Variational Problems Kohn, R. V.;Strang, G.
- Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Engng. v.93 A Homogenization Method for Shape and Topology Optimization Suzuki, K.;Kikuchi, N.
- Struct. Optimization v.1 Optimal Shape Design as a Material Distribution Problem Bendsoe, M. P.
- ASME J. Mech. Des. v.116 On Optimum Truss Layout by a Homogenization Method Diaz, A. R.;Belding, B.
- Topology Design of Structure Topology and Generalized Layout Optimization of Elastic Structures Bendsoe, M. P.;Diaz, A. R.;Kikuchi, N.;M. P. Bendsoe(Eds.);C. A. Mota Soares(Eds.)
- Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Engng. v.109 Static and Vibrational Shape and Topology Optimization Using Homogenization and Mathematical Programming Tenek, L. H.;Hagiwara, I.
- Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Engng. v.71 Generating Optimal Topologies in Structural Design Using a Homogenization Method Bendsoe, M. P.;Kikuchi, N.
- Mech. Struct. Mach. v.19 no.4 Integrated Topology and Shape Optimization in Structural Design Bremicker, M.;Chirehdast, M.;Kikuchi, N.;Papalambros, P. Y.
- Topology Design of Structures Topology Optimization and Optimal Shape Design Using Homogenization Allaire, G.;Kohn, R. V.;M. P. Bendsoe(Eds.);C. A. Mota Soares(Eds.)
- Int. J. Numer. Meth. Engng. v.35 Solutions to Shape and Topology Eigenvalue Optimization Problems Using a Homogenization Method Diaz, A. R.;Kikuchi, N.
- Topology Design of Structures Why Does It Seem to Difficult to Avoid Homogenization Type Methods in order to Change Topology in Shape Optimization Chenais, D.;M. P. Bendsoe(Ed.);C. A. Mota Soares(Ed.)
- Topology Design of Structures A Numerical Algorithm for Topology and Shape Optimization Allaire, G.;Francfort, G. A.;M. P. Bendsoe(Eds.);C. A. Mota Soares(Eds.)
- Comput. Struct. v.52 no.2 Optimal Topology Design Using Linear Programming Yang, R. J.;Chuang, C. H.
- Topology Design of Structures A Displacement-based Topology Design Method with Self-Adaptive Layered Materials Jog, C. S.;Haber, R. B.;Bendsoe, M. P.;M. P. Bendsoe(Eds.);C. A. Mota Soares(Eds.)