- Volume 21 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Design of an Intelligent Polymer-Matrix-Composite Using Shape Memory Alloy
형상기억합금을 이용한 지능형 고분자 복합재료의 설계
- Jeong, Tae-Heon (Dept.of Mechanical Engineering, Yeungnam University) ;
- 정태헌 (영남대학교 기계공학부) ;
- Published : 1997.10.01
Thermo-mechanical behaviors of polymer matrix composite(PMC) with continuous TiNi fiber are studied using theoretical analysis with 1-D analytical model and numerical analysis with 2-D multi-fiber finite element(FE) model. It is found that both compressive stress in matrix and tensile stress in TiNi fiber are the source of strengthening mechanisms and thermo-mechanical coupling. Thermal expansion of continuous TiNi fiber reinforced PMC has been compared with various mechanical behaviors as a function of fiber volume fraction, degree of pre-strain and modulus ratio between TiNi fiber and polymer matrix. Based on the concept of so-called shape memory composite(SMC) with a permanent shape memory effect, the critical modulus ratio is determined to obtain a smart composite with no or minimum thermal deformation. The critical modulus ratio should be a major factor for design and manufacturing of SMC.
Shape Memory;Polymer Matrix Composites;Intelligent/Smart Composite;Modulus Ratio
- Smart Mater. Struct. v.1 Active Flexible Rods with Embedded SMA Fibers Lagoudas, D. C.;Tadjbakhsh, I. G.
- ANSYS User's Manual for Revision 5.0 Peter Kohnke
- Metallurgical Trans. v.2 The Effect of Applied Stress on the Martensitic Transformation in TiNi Wasilewski, R. J.
- JSME, v.36 no.3 Pseudoelasticity of TiNi Shape Memory Alloy Tobush, H.;Tanaka, K.
- Principles of Composite Mechanics Gibson, R. F.
- Metal Matrix Composites:Thermo-mechanical Behavior Taya, M.;Aresenault, R. J.
- Proc. of Mat. Res. Society v.246 Shape Memory Materials and Phenomena Fundamental Aspects and Applications Liu, C. T.;Kunsmann, H.;Otsuka, K.
- Materials Trans. Jim v.34 no.3 Strengh of Metal Matrix Composite by Shape Memory Effect Yamada, Y.;Taya, M.
- Ann. Rev. Mater. Sci. v.18 Shape Memory Alloy Tadaki, T.;Otsuka, K.;Shimizu, K.
- Materials Trans. Jim v.34 no.3 Enhanced Mechanical Properties of TiNi Shape Memory Fiber/A1 Composites Furuya, Y.;Sasaki, A.;Taya, M.
- J. of Engineering Mat. and Tech. v.116 Micromechanics of Active Composites With SMA Fibers Lagoudas, D. C.;Boyd, J. G.
- J. of Intelligent Syst. and Struct. v.5 Thermomechanical Response of Shape Memory composites Boyd, J. G.;Lagoudas, D. C.
- Engineering Materials Lewis
- 形狀記憶合金の機械的性質 田中喜久昭
- Ann. Rev. Mater. Sci. Shape Memory Alloy Tadaki, T.;Otsuka, K.