- Volume 11 Issue 1
A geometrically nonlinear finite element formulation of spatial cable networks is presented using two cable elements. Firstly, derivation procedures of tangent stiffness and mass matrices for the space truss element and the elastic catenary cable element are summarized. The load incremental method based on Newton-Raphson iteration method and the dynamic relaxation method are presented in order to determine the initial static state of cable nets subjected to self-weights and support motions. Furthermore, static non-linear analysis of cable structures under additional live loads are performed based on the initial configuration. Challenging example problems are presented and discussed in order to demonstrate the feasibility of the present finite element method and investigate static nonlinear behaviors of cable nets.
- Cable structures Irvine, H. M.
- J. Engng Mech. Div., ASCE 98 No-nlinear dynamics of cables with low initial tension Leonard, J. W.;Recker, W. W.
- J. Struct Div., ASCE 48 Large deformation analysis of prestressed networks Argyris, J. H.;Sharpf, D. W.
- Comput. struct. 6 Equilibrium and natural frequencies of cable structures (a nonlinear finite element approach) Henghold, W. H.;Russell, J. J.
- Int. J. Numer. Mech. Engng. v.11 A finite element for 3-D prestressed cable nets Gambhir, M. L.;Batchelor, B.
- Int. J. Solids Struct. v.15 A finite element approach for cable problems Ozdemir, H.
- Comput. struct. v.14 A curved element for the analysis of cable structures Jayaraman, H. B.;Knudson, W. C.
- M.S. Dissertation, Seoul National University Static and dynamic nonlinear analysis of spatial cable networks using elastic catenary cable element Ahn, S. S.
- Comput. sturct. v.33 The efficiency of numerical methods for the analysis of prestressed nets and pin-jointed frame structures Lewis, W. J.
- Finite element procedures Bathe, K. J.
- Static and dynamic geometric and material non-linear analysis Bathe, K. J.;Ozdemir, H.;Wilson, E. L.
- J. Struct. Div., ASCE 90 ST3 Cable movements under two dimensional loads O'Brien, W. T.;Francis, A. J.
- J. Struct. Div., ASCE 86 ST12 Movement of a cable due to changes in loading Michalos, J.;Birnstiel, C.
- Doctoral dissertation, University of California Static and dynamic analysis of cable net structures Knudson, W. C.
- Comput. struct. v.29 Geometric nonlinear static analysis of cable supported structrues Desai, Y. M.;Popplewell, N.;Shah, A. H.;Buragohain, D. N.