- Volume 23 Issue 11 Serial No. 170
The low-cycle fatigue behaviour of a SiC-particulate-reinforced Al-Si cast alloy with two different volume fractions has been investigated from a series of strain-control led fatigue tests with zero and nonzero tensile mean strains. The composites including the unreinforced matrix alloy, exhibited cyclic hardening behaviour, with more pronounced strain-hardening for the composites with a higher volume fraction of the SiC particles. For the tensile mean strain tests, the initial high tensile mean stress relaxed to zero for the ductile Al-Si alloy, resulting in no influence of the tensile mean strain on the fatigue life of the matrix alloy. However, tensile mean strain for the composite caused tensile mean stresses and reduced fatigue life. The pronounced effects of mean strain on the low-cycle fatigue life of the composite compared to the unreinforced matrix alloy were attributed to the initial large prestrain and non-relaxing high tensile mean stress in the composite with very limited ductility and Cyclic plasticity. Fatigue damage parameter using strain energy, density efficiently accounted for the mean stress effects. Predicted fatigue life using the damage parameter correlated fairly well with the experimental life within a factor of 3. Also, the fatigue damage parameter indicated the inferior life in the low-cycle regime and superior life in the high-cycle regime for the composite, compared to the unreinforced matrix alloy.
Particulate-Reinforced Composite;Low-Cycle Fatigue;Mean Strain;Mean Stress;Cyclic Plasticity;Fatigue Damage Parameter;Fatigue Life
- Scripta Metallurgica v.18 Aging Characteristics of B4C-Reinforced 6061- Aluminum Nieh, T. G.;Karlak, R. F.
- 대한기계학회논문집 v.19 no.6 단섬유강화 금속복합재료의 반복적 변형 및 피로특성 양유창;송정일;봉하동;한경섭
- Fatigue '93 The Effect of Microstructural Characteristics on Fatigue Crack Growth in SiC Particulate-Reinforced Cast Aluminum Alloy Composites Hu, J.;Kumai, S.;Higo, Y.;Nunomura, S.
- An Introduction to Metal Matrix Composites Clyne, T.; W.;Withers, P. J.
- ASME J. Pressure Vessel Technology v.110 A Total Strain Energy Density Theory for Cumulative Fatigue Damage Golos, K.;Ellyin, F.
- Metallurgical Transactions A v.25A Low-Cycle fatigue Properties of a SiC Whisker-Reinforced 2124 Aluminum Alloy Sasaki, M.;Lawson, L.;Meshii, M.
- Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures v.14 no.4 Mean Stress Effects on the Low Cycle Fatigue Life of High Strength Steel Koh, S, K.;Stephens, R. I.
- Acta Metall. v.37 no.8 On the Particle-Size Dependence of Fatigue-Crack Propagation Thresholds in SiC-Particulate- Reinforced Aluminum-Alloy Composites: Role of Crack Closure and Crack Trapping Shang, J. K.;Ritchie, R. O.
- Acta Metall. Mater. v.39 no.1 Aspects of Fracture in Particulate Reinforced Metal Matrix Composites Lloyd, D. J.
- Fatigue Design Handbook v.4 Graham, J. A.(ed.)
- 대한기계학회논문집 v.19 no.11 Sic 입자강화 알루미늄기 복합재료의 표면미소 피로균열의 발생 및 진전거동 최영근;이택순;이문환
- Composites v.24 Fatigue Damage Development in Al203/Al Composite Liu, X. C.;Bathias, C.
- Metallurgical Transactions A v.16A Analysis of Stress-Strain, Fracture, and Ductility Behavior of Aluminum Matrix Composites Containing Discontinuous Silicon Carbide Reinforcement McDanels, D.
- Fundamentals of Cyclic Stress and Strain Sandor, B. I.
- Acta Metall. v.36 no.7 Microstructural Development in an Aluminum Alloy-SiC Whisker Composite Christman, T.;Suresh, S.
- Metallurgical Transactions A v.24A The Influence of Matrix Microstructure and TiC Reinforcement on the Cyclic Response and Fatigue Behavior of 2219 Al Vyletel, G. M.;Allison, J. E.;Sachdev, A. K.
- Materials Transactions v.37 Cyclic Deformation and Low Cycle Fatigue Behavior in a 6061 Al/22% Vol. SiC Whisker Composite Wang, L.;Sun, Z. M.;Kobayashi, T.;Toda, H.;Wang, Z. G.
- Materials Science and Technology v.4 Fatigue Performance of Alumina Reinforced Metal Matrix Composites Hurd, N.J.
- Composites Science and Technology v.49 Effects of Microstructure on the Strain-controlled Fatigue Failure Behavior of an Aluminum-alloy/Ceramic-particle Composite Srivatsan, T. S.;Lavernia, E. J.
- Journal of Minerals v.43 no.4 Cast Aluminum-Matrix Composites for Automotive Applications Rohatgi, P.
- 대한기계학회논문집 v.19 no.1 SiC 입자보강 Al 복합재료의 피로균열 진전거동 권재도;문윤배;김상태
- 대한기계학회논문집 v.19 no.9 SiC 보강 Al6061 복합재료의 마멸 및 마찰특성에 관한 연구 권재도;안정주
- 대한기계학회논문집(A) v.20 no.11 용탕제조법에 의하여 제조된 SiCp/Al 복합재료의 2차성형가공이 기계적 성질에 미치는 영향 서영호;강충길
- Metallurgical Transactions A v.22A Fatigue Behavior of a 2xxx Series Aluminum Alloy Reinforced with 15 Vol Pct SiCp Bonnen, J. J.;Allison, J. E.;Jones, J. W.
- Scripta Metallurgica et Materialia v.33 no.5 Effect of Reinforcement Size on Low Cycle Fatigue Behavior of SiC Particle Reinforced Aluminum Matrix Composites Han, N. L.;Wang, Z. G.;Sun, L.
- Acta Metall. Mater. v.39 no.1 Strengthening of a Particlulate Metal Matrix Composite by Quenching Taya, M.;Lulay, K. E.
- Materials Science and Engineering v.A234 Low-cycle Fatigue of Metal-Matrix Composite: Influence of Pre-straining on the Fatigue Life Biermann, H.;Beyer, G.;Mughrabi, H.
- J. Materials v.5 no.4 A Stress-Strain Function for the Fatigue of Materials Smith, K. N.;Watson, P.;Topper, T. M.
- Composites Science and Technology v.57 Mechanical Behavior of Al203-Particle- Reinforced 6061 Aluminum Alloy under Uniaxial and Multiaxial Cyclic Loading Xia, Z.;Ellyin, F.;Meijer, G.
- International Journal of Fatigue v.14 The Low-Cycle Fatigue Behavior of an Aluminum-Alloy-Ceramic-Particle Composite Srivatsan, T. S.