- Volume 23 Issue 11 Serial No. 170
It is necessary to improve mechanical and optical properties in the optical disk substrates as the information storage devices with high storage density using short wavelength laser are being developed. Injection compression molding is regarded as the most suitable process to manufacture optical disk substrates with high dimensional accuracy, low residual stresses, and superb optical properties. In the present study, polycarbonate optical disk substrates were fabricated by injection compression molding and the birefringence, regarded as one of the most important optical properties for optical disk, is measured. The effects of various processing conditions upon the development of birefringence distribution were examined experimentally. It was found that the values of the birefringence distribution were very sensitive to the mold wall temperature history and the variance of the birefringence distribution in the radial direction was affected by the level of the packing and the compression pressure.
Optical Disk Substrates;Birefringence;Injection Compression Molding;Optical Information Storage Device
- Birefringence and Residual Stresses in Molded Articles of Amorphous Polymers Shyu, G.
- AIChE Journal v.35 no.3 The Birefringence Problem in Optical Disk Substrates: A Modeling Approach Greener, J.;Kesel, R.;Contestable, B. A.
- Polym. Eng. and Sci. v.34 no.11 Construction of Fast-Response Heating Elements for Injection Molding Applications Jansen, K. M. B.;Flaman, A. A. M.
- Polym. Eng. and Sci. v.31 no.9 Study of Birefringence Character of Injection and Compression-Molded Polycarbonate and Its Interpretation Wu, J.;White, J. L.
- Rheol. Acta v.19 Toward a Viscoelastic Modeling of the Injection Molding of Polymers Isayev, A. I.;Hieber, C. A.
- Optics Hecht, E.
- SPE ANTEC Technical Papers v.36 A Theoretical and Experimental Investigation of Warpage in Injection Molding Santhanam, N.;Wang, K. K.
- Int. J. Hear Mass Transfer v.38 no.2 Heat Transfer in Injection Molding Systems with Insulation Layers and Heating Elements Jansen, K. M. B.
- Analysis of Residual Stresses and Post-Molding Deformation in Injection-Molded Components Santhanam, N.