- Volume 9 Issue 3
Leptin gene, an obesity gene, has been known to involve in the regulation of food intake and body weight. It is also thought to be related to the glucose metabolism, insulin secretion and type II diabetes mellitus. Recently, the production of recombinant leptin protein has been attempted for the application in the treatment of obesity and the correction of hereditary obesity and type II diabetes. In the present study, leptin cDNA was cloned from mouse fat cells by RT-PCR and prokaryotic expression of leptin was attempted in order ot prepare a leptin-specific antigen. Immunization of a rabbit with the leptin-specific antigen into a rabbit resulted in the generation of leptin-specific antiserum that could be useful in the detection of leption expressed in various tissues. The sequence of leptin cDNA prepared in the present study wa identical to the previously reported one. Transformation of E. coli(DH5a) cells with the leptin cDNA-inserted translation vector, pGEX-4T-3-leptin followed by treatment with IPTG (0.1mM) resulted in the expression of a large amount of GST-leptin fusion protein with a molecular weight of 44 KDa as an inclusion body. Denaturation of the insoluble fusion protein by 8M urea, 6M guanidium-HCI or 0.1% 2-mercaptoethanol followed by a slow oxidation could not solubilize the inclusion body. The cell extract was subjected to SDS-PAGE and GST-leptin protein electroeluted from the gel was then injected into a rabbit subcutaneously for the immunization. Anti-GST-leptin rabbit antiserum which had a cross reactivity to the GST-leptin protein was generated. Leptin protein expressed in mouse brain and fat tissues was detected by Western blot immunodetection system using the antiserum generated in the present study.
- Proc. Nfatl. Acad. Sci.(USA) v.83 Cloning, nucleoside sequence, and expression of the bacteriopage T4 feg A gene. Adari, H. Y.;Rose, K.;Williams, K. R.;Konigsberg, W. H.;Lin, T. C.;Spicer, E. K.
- Anal. Biochem v.72 A rapid and sesitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding Bradford, M. M.
- Anal. Biochem v.112 "Western blotting" electrophoretic transfer of protein from SDS PAGE to unmodified nitrocellulose and radioactive detection with antibody and radioiodinated detection with antibody and radioiodinated protein A. Burnette, M. M.
- Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.(USA) v.81 Generation of antibody activity from immumoglobulin polypeptide chains produced in Escheriachia coli. Cabilly, S.;Riggs, A. D.;Pande, H.;Shively, J. E.;Holmes, W. E.;Rey, M.;Perry, L. J.;Wetzel, R.;Heyneker, H. L.
- Science v.269 Recombinant mouse OB protein: evidence for a peripheral signal linking adiposity and central neural networks Campfield, L. A.;Smith, F. J.;Guisez, Y.;Devos, R.;Burn, P.
- Nature Med. v.2 Novel B219/OB recepter isoforms: Possible role of leptin in hemotopoiesis and reproduction Cioffi, J. A.;Shafer, A. W.;Zupanicic, T. J.;Smith-Gbur, J.;Mikhail, A.;Platik, D.;Snodgrass, H. R.
- Science v.274 Modulation of insulin activities by leptin Cohen, B.;Novick, D.;Rubinstein, M.
- New Engl. J. Med. v.334 Serum immunoreative-leptin concentrations in normal-weight and obese humans Considine, R. V.;Sinha, M. K.;Heiman, M. L.;Krauciunas, A.;Stephens, T. W.;Nyce, M. R.;Ohannesian, J. P.;Marco, C. C.;McKee, L. J.;Bauer, T. L.;Caro, J. F.
- Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.(USA) v.76 Expression in Escherichia coli of chemically synthesized genes in human insulin Goeddel, D. V.;Kleid, D. G.;Boliver, F.;Heyneker, H. L.;Yansura, D. G.;Crea, R.;Hirose, T.;Kraszewski, A.;Itakura, K.;Riggs, A. D.
- Sceince v.269 Weight reducing effects of the plasma protein encoded by the obese gene Halaas, J. L.;Gaziwala, K. S.;Maffei, M.;Cohen, S. L.;Chait, B. T.;Rabinowitz, D.;Lalonne, R. L.;Burley, S. K.;Friedman, J. M.
- Detergent lysis of monolayer cultures. Antibodies, a Laboratory Manual. Harlow, E.;Lane, D.
- Nature v.227 Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bactriophase T4 Laemmli, E. K.
- Protein Expression and Purification v.2 BTPI and N-terminal extended analogs generated by factor Xa cleavage and cathepsin Ctrimming of a fussion protein expressed in Escherichia coli. Lauitzen, C.;Tuchsen, E.;Hansin, P. E.;Skovgaard, O.
- Nature v.379 Abnormal splicing of the leptin receptor in diabetic mice Lee, G. H.;Proenca, R.;Montez, J. M.;Carroll, K. M.;Darvishzadeh, J. G.;Lee, J. I.;Friedman, J. M.
- J. Clim. Invest. v.95 A pathologic role of visceral fat beta-adrenoreceptors in obsity Lonnqvist, F.;Thone, A.;Nilsell, K.;Horrstedt, J.;Arner, P.
- Solubillization of protein aggregated Methods in Enzymology Marston, F. A. O.;Hartley, D. L.
- Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.(USA) v.93 Correction of obesity and diabetes in genetically obese mice by leptin gene therapy Muzzin, P.;Eisensmith, R. C.;Copeland, K. C.;Woo, S.L.C.
- Sceince v.269 Effects of the obese gene product on body weight regulation in ob/ob mice Pelleymounter, M. A.;Cullen, M. J.;Baker, M. B.;Hecht, R.;Winters, D.;Boone, T.;Collins, F.
- Science v.239 Primer directed enzymatic zmplification of DNA with a thermostable DNA polymerase Saiki, P. K.;Gelfand, D. H.;Stoffel, S.;Scharf, S. V.;Higinichi, R.;Horm, G. T.;Mullis, K.;Erlich, H. A.
- Molecular Cloning Laboratory Manual, 2nd ed. Sambrook, J.;Fritsch, E. F.;Maniatis, T.
- FEBS Letter v.87 The use of thin acrylamide gels for DNA sequencing Sanger, F.;Coulson, A. R.
- Escherichia coli. Biotechnology v.6 Control of folding of proteins secreted by a high expression secretion vector, pIN-Ⅲ-ompA: 16 fold increase in production of active substilin E Takagi, H.;Morinaga, Y.;Tsuchiya, M.;Ikemura, G.;Inouye, M.
- Cell v.83 Identification and expression cloning of a leptin recepter, OB-R. Tartaglia, L. A.;Dembski, M.;Weng, X.;Deng, N.;Culpepper, J.;Devos, R.;Richards, G. J.;Smutko, J. S.;Mays, G. G.;Woolf, E. A.;Monroe, C. A.;Tepper, R. I.
- J. Bacteriol v.162 Glutathione reductase is not required for maintenance of reduced glutathione in Escherichia coli K-12 Tuggle, C. K.;Fuch, J. A.
- Nature v.372 Positional cloning of the mouse obese gene and its human homologue Zhang, Y.;Proneca, R.;Maffei, M.;Barone, M.;Leopold, L.;Friedman, J. M.