- Volume 28 Issue 5
Physicochemical, microbiological, and sensory properties of barleys irradiated by gamma ray at 1.2kGy, 10.1kGy, or 30.5kGy were investigated every 40 days during the storage at 25℃ and 50% relative humidity. Moisture content of the irradiated barleys decreased but crude lipid content increased during the storage. TBA values increased in proportion to the irradiation dose and to the storage period. In Hunter's color, L, a, and b values of 30.5kGy dose irradiated barleys were higher than those of the non irradiated barleys right after irradiation and this trend continued during the storage. Numbers of mesophilic and psychrophilic bacteria in the non irradiated barleys and 1.2kGy dose irradiated barleys were higher than those in the barleys irradiated at 10.1kGy and 30.5kGy during the storage. Numbers of yeasts and molds in the irradiated and non irradiated barleys were low and they did not greatly increase during the storage. In sensory evaluation, acidic odor of the barleys was strong at the 10.1kGy and 30.5 kGy dose irradiation but barley odor and humid odor were not significantly different among the groups depending upon the radiation dose and storage period.
- J.Food Sci.Technol v.28 Physicochemical properties of hull-less barleys flours prepared with different grinding mills Lee, Y.T.;Seog, H.M.;Cho, M.K;Kim, S.S
- Nutr.Rep.Inst. v.34 Hypocholesterolelmic effects of barley foods on healthy men Newman, R.K.;Lewis, S.E.;Newman, C.W.;Boik, R.J.;Ramage, R.I
- Cereal Foods World v.34 The hypocholesterolemic function of barley beta-glucanns Newmam, R.K.;Newman, C.W.;Graham, H
- Cereal Chem. v.65 Effect of gamma irradication on survival of natural micrioflora and nutrients in cereal meals Hanis, T.;Mnukova, J.;Jelen, P.;Klir, P.;Perez, B.;Pesek, M.
- Cereal Chem. v.66 Effects of gamma irradiation on the nutritional quality of grain and legumes. I.Stability of niacin,thiamin,and riboflavin Khattak, A.B.;Klopfenstein, C.F
- J. Cereal Sci. v.7 The effect of r-irradiation on the quality of Austrailian rice Wootton, M.;Djojobegoro, H.;Driscoll, R
- Paper presented at the 4th CAFST Seminar Acceptance and trading on irradiated foods-international development of food irradiation and consumer accptance of irradiated food Loaharanu, P
- Food Technol. v.48 status and prospects of food irradiation Loaharanu, P.
- Food irradiation a refernce guide Wilkinson, V.M.;Gould, G.W
- J.Food Sci v.56 Cooking quality of brown rice as influenced by gamma irradiation, variety and storage Sabularse, V.C.;Liuzzo, J.A.;Rao, R.M.;Grodner, R.M
- Radiation Physics and Chemistry v.35 States of food irradiation in Eastern Europe Farkas, J
- Official methods of analysis.(16th.ed) AOAC
- Conpendium of methods for the microbiological examination of foods (23rd ed.) Speck, M.L
- Sensory evaulation techniques Meilgaad, M.;Civille, G.V.;Carr, B.T
- Food Technol v.31 The selection and use of judges for descriptive panels Zook, K.;Wesseman, C
- SAS user's guide.(5th.ed.) SAS Institute Inc
- SAS procedures guide (5th ed.) Relese 6.03 Edition SAS Institute Inc
- J.Food Sci v.57 Physicochemical characteristics of brown rice as influenced by gamma irradiation Sabularse, V.C.;Liuzzo, J.A.;Ral, R.M.;Grodner, R.M
- J. Agric Food Chem v.26 Radiolysis of carbohydrates and carbohydrate containing foodstuffs Diehl, J.F.;Adam, S.;Delincee, H.;Jakubick, V
- Korean J. Food Sci Technol v.30 Change of pgysicochemical properties of gamma irradiated porks during storage Kwak, H.J.;Kang, I.J.;Kim, H.K.;Chang, H.G.;Park, S.A
- CRS Criy.Rev.Food Sci. Nutr v.6 Irradation of cereal grains and cereal grain products Lorenz, K.
- J.Food Sci v.60 Microbiological and chemical, and sensory changes in irradiated Pico De Gallo Howard, L.R.;Miller, G.H.;JR.;Wagner, A.B
- Korean J.Food Sci.Technol v.27 The improvement of corn starch isolation process by gamma irradiation Byun, M.W.;Kang, I.J.;Kwon, J.H.;Lee, S.J.;Kim, S.K
- J. Agric. Food Chem. v.8 Use of the 2-thiobarbituric acid reagent to measure rancidity in frogen pork Turner, E. W.;Paynter, W. D.;Montie, E. J.;Bessert, M. W.;Struck, G. M.;Olsin, F. C.