- Volume 11 Issue 4
When stress is beyond elastic limit or cracks occur in a reinforced concrete member subjected to axial force and biaxial bending, curvature about each principal axis of uncracked section is influenced by axial force and bending moments about both major and minor principal axes. It is mainly due to the translation and rotation of principal axes of the cross section after cracking. Recently, by considering these effects, a numerical method predicting the behavior of concrete columns subjected to axial force and biaxial bending was proposed. In this study, in order to verify the proposed numerical method and investigate the effects of cracking on the behavior of reinforced concrete columns, a series of tests were carried out for 16 tied reinforced concrete columns with 100×100 mm square and 200×100 mm rectangular sections under various loading conditions. The angle between the direction of eccentricity and the major principal axis of uncracked section were 0, 30, 40° for the square section and 0, 30, 45, 60, 90° for the rectangular section, respectively. A comparison between numerical predictions and test results shows good agreements in ultimate loads, axial force-lateral deflection relations, and lateral deflection trajectories. It is also found, in this limited investigation, that the ACI's moment magnifier method is conservative in both uniaxial and biaxial loading conditions.
reinforced concrete column;biaxial bending;crack
- Building Code Requirements for Reinforced Concrete (ACI 318-95) ACI Committee 318
- ACI Structural Journal v.86 no.S13 Strength and Ductility of Square Reinforced to Biaxial Bending Zahn, F. A.;Park, R.;Priestley, M. J. N.
- 콘크리트학회 논문집 v.9 no.2 2축 휨과 축력을 동시에 받는 철근 콘크리트 기둥의 2계 거동 해석 김진근;이상순;양주경;장정수;조성찬
- Journal of Structural Division v.92 no.ST5 Rotational Capacity of Reinforced Concrete Beams Corley, W. G.
- ACI Structural Journal v.86 no.S71 Design of Columns Subjected to Biaxial Bending Horowitz, B.
- Engineers Structures v.17 no.1 Buckling Behavior of Slender High-Strengh Concrete Columns Kim, J. K.;Yang, J. K.
- Journal of Structural Engineering v.113 no.12 Softening in Reinforced Concrete Beams and Frames Bazant, Z. P.;Pan, J.;Cabot, G. P.
- Proceedings of the International Symposium on the Flexural Mechanics of Reinforced Concrete Design of Concrete Frames for Two Failure States Sawyer, H. A.
- Computers and Structures v.32 no.6 Nonlinear Behavior of R/C Frames El-Metwally, S. E.;Chen, W. F.
- ACI Journal v.57 no.5 Design Criteria for Reinforced Concrete Columns under Axial Load and Biaxial Bending Bresler, B.
- ACI Journal v.94 no.S27 Experimental Tests on Eccentrically Loaded High-Strength Concrete Columns Forester, S. J.;Attard, M. M.