- Volume 11 Issue 4
The damage in concrete structures generally starts with microcracking and thus it is important to find and explore these microcracks in concrete in order to ensure appropriate safety and serviceability. The purpose of the present study is to identify the damage characteristics of concrete structures due to cracking by employing the acoustic emission techniques. A comprehensive experimental study has been done. The cracking damage under tensile and flexural loadings have been identified and the bond damage between steel and concrete have been also characterized. It is seen that the amplitudes and energy level of Acoustic Emission(AE) events are found to be relatively small for bond cracking damages and large for tensile cracking damages. The characteristic equations of the AE events for various cracking damages have been proposed based on the present test data. The internal microcracks are progressively developed ahead of a visible actual crack and the present study clearly exhibits these damage mechanism for various types of cracking in concrete. The present study provides useful data which can be used to identify the various types of cracking damages in concrete structures. This will allow efficient maintenance of concrete structures through monitoring of internal cracking based on acoustic emission.
cracking damage;acoustic emission;nondestructive test;tensile cracks;flexural cracks;bond cracks between steel and concrete;damage mechanism
- J. Acoustic Emission v.2 no.3 Characterization of Concrete Damages by Acoustic Emission Analysis Reymond, M.;Raharinaivo, A.;Brachet, M.
- J. Acoustic Emission v.6 no.3 Application of Acoustic Emission to the Field of Concrete Engineering Uomotom, T.
- J. Acoustic Emission v.6 no.3 Application of Acoustic Emission to the Field of Concrete Engineering Uomoto, T.
- J. Acoustic Emission v.6 Modeling coccrete damage by acoustic emission Berthelot, J.;J. Robert
- Nondestructive testing, SP-112 Diagnostics of Cracks in Concrete Based on Acoustic Emission Ohtsu, M.;H. S. Lee(ed.)
- J. Acoustic Emission v.11 no.4 Field Application of Acoustic Emission for the Diagnosis of Structural Deterioration of Concrete Matsuyama, K.;Fujiwara, T.;Ishibashi, A.;Ohtsu, M.
- Int. J. Fracture v.17 The Stress wave radiation from growing cracks Rose, L.R.F.
- Nondestructive testing, SP-112 Diagnostics of Cracks in Concrete Based on Acoustic Emission Ohtsu, M.;H. S. Lew
- Cement and Concrete Research v.23 Concrete : A Three Phase Material Nilsen, A. U.;Monteiro, P. J. M.
- J. Appl. Mech. v.46 Acoustic emission from a brief crack propagation event Achenbach, T. F.;Harris, J. G.
- J. Acoustic Emission v.6 Modeling concrete damage by acoustic emission Berthelot, J.;J. Robert
- ACI Material Journal Acoustic Emission Monitering as a Nondestructive Testing Technique in Reinforced Concrete Stephan W. Hearn;Carol K. Shield
- ASNT Handbook, 2nd ed. Acoustic emission testing R. K. Miller;Paul McIntire(Editors)