- Volume 12 Issue 1
Recently, it has been possible to the alphoid gene, which has X and Y specificity, and determine the sex from human physical evidence using PCR methods. Samples from single sources, PCR method applied to the alphoid gene results in highly sensitive and accurate results even when only 60 pg of the genomic DNA was available for sex determination. Even for samples containing DNA from more than one gender source where the female DNA was present in the amount 10 times than that of the male, sex determination was possible. Therefore, this result suggests that alphoid gene, which has X and Y specificity, could be used effectively for sex determination in case of mixed DNA samples from biological evidence.
gender analysis;alphoid gene;PCR;human DNA
- Biotechniques v.15 A rapid and quantitative DNA sex test: fluorescence-based PCR analysis of X-Y homologous gene amelogenin K. M. Sullivan;A. Mannucci;C. P. Kimpton;P. Gill
- Int. J. Leg. Med. v.105 Sex deternimation forensic samples: co-amplification and simultaneous detection of a Y-specific and an X-specific DNA sequence H. pfitzinger;B. Ludes;P. Mangin
- J. Forensic Sci. v.34 A study of sex identification of trace, dried bloodstains using a Y-chromosome specific deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) probe Z. H. He;X. H. Jiang;S. H. Lu;G. L. Wang;Y. W. Zhu;S. W. Wang;Y. Shen;Q. S. Gao;J. Z. Liu;G. Y. Wu
- Int. J. Leg. Med. v.107 Sex deternimation and DNA competition in the analysis of forensic mixed stains by PCR J. Kreike;A. Lehner
- PCR Methods Appl. v.3 Evaluation of bone marrow transplanatation efficiency by competitive PCR on Y sEQUENCES S. Patri;L. Daheron;A. Kitzis;Chomel J. C.
- Int. J. Leg. Med. v.106 Forensic appication of a rapid and quantitative DNA sex test by amplification of the X-Y homologous gene amelogenin A. Mannucci;K. M. Sullivan;P. L. Ivanov;P. Gill
- Int. J. Leg. Med. v.105 Application of DNA techniques for identification using human detal pulp as a source of DNA L. Potsch;U. Meyer;S. Rothschild;P. M. Schneider;C. Rittner
- J. Forensic Sci. v.37 A polymerase chain reaction (PCR) method for sex and species determination with novel controls for deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) template length R. E. Gaensslen;K. M. Berka;D. A. Grosso;G. Ruano;E. M. Pagliaro;D. Messina;H. C. Lee
- Biotechnology v.8 Amplification of the ZFX and ZFY genes for sex identification in humans, cattle, sheep and goats E. Aasen;J. F. Medrano
- Hum genet. v.82 A rapid method for detection of Y-chromosomal DNA from dried blood specimens by the polymerase chain reaction M. Witt;R.P. Erickson