- Volume 24 Issue 9 Serial No. 180
The method of photoelasticity allows one to obtain principal stress differences and principal stress directions in a photoelastic model. In the classical approach, the photoelastic parameters are measured manually point by point. This is time consuming and requires skill in the identification and measurement of photoelastic data. Fringe phase shifting method has been recently developed and widely used to measure and analyze fringe data in photo-mechanics. This paper presents the test results of photoelastic fringe phase shifting method for the stress analysis of a curved beam plate. The technique used here requires four phase stepped photoelastic images obtained from a circular polariscope by rotating the analyzer at 0˚, 45˚, 90˚ and 135˚. Experimental results are compared with those of ANSYS and calculated by the simple beam theory. Good agreement among the results can be observed.
Photoelasticity;Stress Analysis;Fringe shifting Method;Phase Shifting Method;Circular Polariscope;Experimental Stress Analysis;Digital Image Processing
- Boresi, A. P., Schmidt, R. J. and Sidebottom, O. M., 1993, Advanced Mechanics of Materials, John Wiley & Sons, pp. 362-373
- Photoelastic Division, Measurement Group, Inc., Raleigh, NC 27611, USA
- ANSYS Program and User's Manual, Version 5.3, Swanson Analysis Systems, Inc., Houston, PA, USA
- Asundi, A., 1993, 'Phase shifting in Photoelasticity,' Experimental Technique, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 19-23
- 백태현, 김명수, 김수일, '광탄성법을 이용한 곡선보 평판의 응력분포 해석,' 비파괴검사학회지, 19권. 3호(1996. 6), pp. 200-206
- Ajovalasit, A., Barone, S. and Petrucci, G., 1998, 'A Review of Automated Methods for the Collection and Analysis of Photoelastic Data,' Journal of Strain Analysis, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 75-91 https://doi.org/10.1243/0309324981512832
- Baek, T. H., Kim, M. S., Rhee, J. and R.E. Rowlands, 1999, 'Hybrid full-field Stress Analysis of Perforated Plate by Photoelasticity and conformal Mapping,' International Conference on Advanced Technology in Experimental Mechanics'99 (ASTM'99), JSME-MMD, Vol. 2, pp. 642-646
- 백태현, 1994, '광탄성 프린지 해석을 위한 영상처리 기법 개발,' 대한기계학회논문집, 제18권, 제10호, pp. 2577-2584
- Baek ,T. H. and Burger, C. P., 1991, 'Accuracy Improvement Technique for Measuring Stress Intensity Factors in Photoelastic Experiment,' KSME International Journal, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 22-27
- Frocht, M. M., 1967, Photoelasticity, Vol. 1 and 2, John Wiley and Sons
- Dally, J. W. and Riley, W. F., 1991, Experimental Stress Analysis, McGraw-Hill, Inc.
- Voloshin, A. S. and C. P. Burger, 1983, 'Half Fringe Photoelasticity,' Experimental Mechanics, Vol. 23, pp. 304-314 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02319257