- Volume 24 Issue 8 Serial No. 179
A design method for maximizing fatigue life of the deep groove ball bearing without enlarging mounting space is proposed by using a genetic algorithm. The use of gradient-based optimization methods for the design of the bearing is restricted because this design problem is characterized by the presence of discrete design variables such as the number of balls and standard ball diameter. Therefore, the design problem of rolling element bearings is a constrained discrete optimization problem. A genetic algorithm using real coding is used to efficiently find the optimum discrete design values. To effectively deal with the design constraints, a ranking method is suggested for constructing a fitness function in the genetic algorithm. Constrains for manufacturing are applied in optimization scheme. Results obtained for several 63 series deep groove ball bearings demonstrated the effectiveness of the proposed design methodology by showing that the average basic dynamic capacities of optimally designed bearings increased about 9-34% compared with the standard ones.
Deep Groove Ball Bearing;High-Load Capacity;Fatigue life;Discrete Variable;Optimum Design;Genetic Algorithm
- Harris, T. A., 1991, Rolling Bearing Analysis : 3rd ed., John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Pilkey, Walter D., 1994, Formulas for Strain and Structural Matrices, John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Gen Cheng, 1996, Genetic Algorithms & Engineering Design, Wiley-Interscience
- Marc A.S, Stephen M.B, Nari N, 1998, 'Genetic Algorithms for Mixed Discrete/Continuous Optimization in Multidisciplinary Design,' AIAA Journal
- Zbigniew Michalewicz, 1996, Genetic Algorithms+Data Structures=Evolution Programs 3rd Revised and Extended Edition, Springer
- 조영석, 1999, 구속조건의 효율적인 처리를 위한 유전자 알고리듬의 개발, 석사학위 논문, 한양대학교
- Vanderplaats, G. N., 1984, Numerical Optimization Techniques for Engineering Design ; with Applications, McGraw-Hill, New York
- Rao, S. S., 1996, Engineering Optimization; Theory and Practice, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York
- Changsen Wan, 1991, Analysis of Rolling Element Bearings, Mechanical Engineering Publications Ltd.
- FAG한화베어링(주), 1999, 구름베어링 카탈로그 WL 41 520/2 KA
- Lundberg, G. and Palmgren, A., 1947, 'Dynamic Capacity of Rolling Bearings,' ACTA POLYTECHNICA, Mechanical Engineering Series 1, Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Science, No. 3, Vol. 7
- ISO, 1985, 'Explanatory note on ISO 281/1-1977,' Technical Report 8646
- Hamrock, B.J. and Dowson D., 1981, Ball Bearing Lubrication, John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- 윤기찬, 최동훈, 2000, '자동차 휠 베어링 유닛의 장수명 설계,' 대한기계학회논문집 A권, 제24호, 제2호, pp. 319-328