- Volume 24 Issue 8 Serial No. 179
The understanding of impact-induced delamination is important in safety and reliability of composite structure. In this study, a model for arrest toughness is proposed in consideration of fracture behavior of composite materials. Also, the probabilistic model is proposed to describe the variability of arrest toughness due to the nonhomogeneity of material. For these models, experiments were conducted on the Carbon/Epoxy composite plates with various thickness using the impact hammer. The elastic work factor used in J-Integral is applicable to the evaluation of energy release rate. The fracture behavior can be described by crack arrest concept and the arrest toughness is independent of the delamination size. Additionally, a probabilistic characteristics of arrest toughness is well described by the Weibull distribution function. A variation of arrest toughness increases with specimen thickness.
CFRP Laminates;Energy Release Rate;Delamination;Probabilistic Analysis;Arrest Toughness
- ASTM D 3039-93, 'Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Fiber Resin Composite'
- Wang, H. and Vu-khanh, T., 1994, 'Damage Extension in Carbon Fiber/PEEK Crossply Laminates under Low Velocity Impact,' J. of Composite Materials, Vol. 28, No. 8, pp. 685-706
- Kress, G. R. and Stinchcomb, W. W., 1985, 'Fatigue Response of Notched Graphite/Epoxy Laminates,' ASTM STP 864, pp. 173-196
- Wang, H. and Vu-khanh, T., 1995, 'Fracture mechanics and mechanisms of impack-induced delamination in laminated composites,' J. of Composite Materials, Vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 157-178
- 김정규, 강기원, 1999, '평직 Glass/Epoxy 복합재료의 충격손상거동과 잔류강도평가,' 대한기계학회논문 A권, 제23권, 제2호, pp. 294-303
- Grady, J.E. and Sun, C.T., 1988, 'Dynamic Delamination Fracture Toughness of a Graphite/Epoxy Laminate under Impact,' Composite Science and Technology, Vol. 31, pp. 55-72 https://doi.org/10.1016/0266-3538(88)90077-2
- 심봉식, 성낙원, 옹장우, 1991, '탄소섬유/에폭시 복합재료의 잔류강도 저하 해석에 의한 피로수명 평가,' 대한기계학회논문집 A권, 제15권, 제6호, pp. 1908-1918
- Maikuma, H., Gillespi. Jr, J. W. and Whitney, J. M., 1989, 'Analysis and Experimental Characterization of the Center Notch Flexural Test Specimen for Mode II Interlaminar Fracture,' J. of Composite Materials, Vol. 23, August, pp. 757-785
- Xiao, X.R. and Vu-Khanh, 1993, 'Effects of Remolding on Fracture Performance of APC-2 Composites: Mode-I Initiation, Propagation and Arrest Toughness,' J. of Thermoplastic Composite Materials, Vol. 6, October, pp. 323-341 https://doi.org/10.1177/089270579300600405
- Rhee, K. Y. and Ernst, H.A., 1992, 'Method for Computing Energy Release Rate Using the Elastic Work Factor Approach,' J. of Composite Materials, Vol. 26, no. 14, pp. 2029-2043
- Abrate, S., 1991, 'Impact on Laminated Composite Materials,' Applied Mechanics Rev. Vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 155-190