- Volume 24 Issue 8 Serial No. 179
An MRC(Magneto-rheological Clutch) has a great potential of application because of its good transmissibility, little wear-out and fast response to electrical control signal. Though many MRCs have been developed for years, there has not been an research on the method to predict the performance of MRC except the simplified mathematical models. But the simplified mathematical models do not fit well since their performance has close relations with shapes of clutches and viscosity distribution throughout the fluids caused by applied magnetic fields. in this study, the CFD and FEM analyses were applied to various shape of MRC and the methods were examined in experiments.
MR Fluids;MR Clutch;CFD;FEM;Magnetic Field
- Cheng D. K., Field and Wave, 1989, Electromagnetics 2nd Edition, Addison Wesley, pp. 234-236
- White F. M., 1989, Fluid Mechanics 3rd Edition, McGraw-Hill, pp. 238-239
- Computational Dynamics, 1994, Star-CD version 2.3 manuals
- Lampe D., Thess A., Dotzauer C., 1998, 'MRF-Clutch-Design Consideration and Perfprmance,' Proceeding of 6th International Conference on New Actuators, pp. 449-450
- Weiss Keith D., Duclos Theodore G., Carlson J David, Chrzan Michael J., and Margida Anthony J., 1993, 'High Strength Magneto-and Electro-rheological Fluids,' SAE Technical Paper Series, 932451