- Volume 24 Issue 3 Serial No. 174
A method for shape design sensitivity analysis is proposed utilizing commercial software ANSYS for thermal conduction problems. While the sensitivity formula is derived analytically by introduing adjoint variable concept, sensitivity calculation in practice as well as the primal and adjoint solution of thermal conduction is performed using the ANSYS very easily. Since the formula always takes boundary integral form, sensitivity evaluation in ANSYS requires a little more addition of post-processing routine which involves evaluation of boundary variable from the obtained solution. Though the BEM has been used as a better tool for this purpose, the present study shows it can also be calculated using any kind of analysis code such as ANSYS since the formula is based on analytic nature. Therefore the present study provides a new and efficient way of optimization which was not possible before using commercial software. The usefulness of the method is illustrated via a weight minimization problem of thermal diffuser
Finite Element Method;Boundary Element Method;Shape Design Sensitivity Analysis;Thermal Conduction;Commercial Software
- Lee, B.Y., Choi, J.H. and Kwak, B.M., 1992, 'Shape Optimization of Two-dimensional Thermal Conducting Solid using Boundary Integral Equation Formulation,' KSME Journal, Vol.6(2), pp. 114~121
- ANSYS Theory Reference 000855, 8th Edition, SAS IP Inc.
- Moore, G.J., 1994, MSC/NASTRAN Design Sensitivity and Optimization User's Guide, Ver.68, MacNeal-Schwendler Corp.
- Carslaw, H.S. and Jaeger, J.C., 1959, Conduction of Heat in Solids, Oxford University Press
- Arora, J.S., 1984, 'An Algorithm for Optimum Structural Design without Line Search,' in E. Atrek (ed.), New Directions in Optimum Structural Design, Wiley, New York, pp. 429-441
- Yao, T.M. and Choi, K.K., 1989, '3-D Shape Optimal Design and Automatic Finite Element Regridding,' Int. J. for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol.28(2), pp.369~384 https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620280209
- Choi, K.K. and Chang, K.H., 1994, 'A Study of Design Velocity Field Computation for Shape Optimal Design,' Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, Vol.15, pp.317~341 https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-874X(94)90025-6
- Choi, J.H. and Kwak, B.M., 1988, 'Boundary Integral Equation Method for Shape Optimization of Elastic Structures,' Int. J. for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol.26, pp. 1579-1595 https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620260709
- Haug, E.J., Choi, K.K. and Komkov, V., 1985, Design Sensitivity Analysis of Structural Systems, Academic Press, New York
- Santos, J.L.T. and Choi, K.K., 1987, 'Design Sensitivity Analysis of Nonlinear Structural Systems with an Established Finite Element Code,' Proceedings, ANSYS Conference, pp.l.35~1.56