- Volume 24 Issue 1 Serial No. 173
The effect of a ceramic ball inclusion on densification behavior of a metal powder compact was investigated under cold isostatic pressing, pressureless sintering and hot isostatic pressing. To simulate those processes, proper constitutive models were implemented into a finite element program (ABAQUS). Measured density distributions of metal powder compacts were also compared with finite element results and showed the same trend with simulated results. Residual stress distributions were calculated by finite element analysis to study the effect of ceramic ball inclusions with different thermal expansion coefficients. The higher residual stress was observed in a metal powder compact when the difference between thermal expansion coefficients for a ceramic ball and metal powder became larger. Samples produced by Wing showed more uniform density distributions and lower residual stresses compared to those by sintering after cold isostatic pressing. For various sizes of ceramic ball inclusions, densification and deformation of powder compacts were also studied during hot isostatic pressing.
Cold Isostatic Pressing;Hot Isostatic Pressing;Power-Law Creep;Pressureless Sintering;Residual Stress
- Boyer, H.E., 1987, 'Hardness Testing,' ASM International., pp. 118
- ABAQUS User Manual, Ver. 5.5, 1996, Pawtucket, Hibbitt, Karlsson and Sorensen
- Svoboda, A., Haggblad, H. and Nasstrom, M., 1996, 'Simulation of Hot Isostatic Pressing of Metal Powder Components to Near Net Shape,' Engineering Computations, Vol. 13, Issue 5, pp. 13-37 https://doi.org/10.1108/02644409610120713
- Metals Handbook, Vol. 7, 1984, Ohio, Am. Soc. Metals
- Frost, H. J. and Ashby, M. F., 1982, Deformation Mechanism Maps, the Plasticty and Creep of Metals and Ceramics, Pergamon Press
- Ceramic Sources '89, 1989, Vol. 4, Am. Ceram. Soc.
- Cho, H.K., Suh, J. and Kim, K.T., 1994, 'Densification of Porous Alloy Steel Preforms at High Temperature,' Int. J. Mech. Sci., Vol. 36, No.4, pp. 317-328 https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7403(94)90038-8
- Kim, K.T. and Jeon, Y.C., 1998, 'Densification Behavior of 316L Stainless Steel Powder Under High Temperature,' Mat. Sci. Eng. A, Vol. A245, pp. 64-71 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-5093(97)00696-5
- Shima. S. and Oyane, M., 1976, 'Plasticity Theory for Porous Metals,' Int. J. Mech. Sci., Vol. 18, pp. 285-291 https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7403(76)90030-8
- Besson, J. and Abouaf, M., 1992, 'Rheology of Porous Alumina and Simulation of Hot Isostatic Pressing,' J. Am. Ceram. Soc., Vol. 75, No.8, pp. 2165-2172 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1151-2916.1992.tb04479.x
- Abouaf, M., Chenot, J.L., Raisson, G. and Bauduin, P., 1988, 'Finite Element Simulation of Hot Isostatic Pressing of Metal Powder,' Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng., Vol. 25, pp. 191-212 https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620250116
- 정진원, 김기태, '냉간 정수압 하에서 금속분말의 치밀화에 미치는 고무몰드의 영향,' 대한기계학회 논문집(A), 제22권, 제2호, pp. 330-342
- Lewis, R.W., Jinka, A.G.K. and Gethin, D.T., 1993, 'Computer-Aided Simulation of Metal Power Die Compaction Processes', Powder Metall. Int., Vol. 25, No.6, pp. 287-293
- Gethin, D.T., Tran, Y.D., Lewis, R.w. and Ariffin, A.K., 'An Investigation of Powder Compaction Processes', Int. J. Powder Metall., Vol. 30, No.4, pp. 385-398
- Randall, M.G., 1994, Powder Metallurgy Science, Metal Powder Industries Federation, Princeton, NJ, U.S.A.
- Lenel, F.V., 1980, Powder Metallurgy-Principles and Applications, Metal Powder Industries Federation, Princeton, NJ, U.S.A.
- German, R.M., 1994, Powder Metallurgy Science, Metal Powder Industries Federation, Princeton, NJ, U.S.A.
- Kuhn, B.A. and Ferguson, B.L., 1990, Powder Forging, Metal Powder Industries Fedration, Princeton, NJ, U.S.A.
- Kim, K.T., and Lee, H.T., 1998, 'Effect of Friction Between Metal Powder and a Mandrel on Densification of Iron Powder during Cold Isostatic Pressing,' Int. J. Mech. Sci., Vol. 40, No.6, pp. 507-518 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7403(97)00063-5
- Schwartz, M.M., 1992, Handbook of Structural Ceramics, McGraw-Hill Inc.