- Volume 24 Issue 11
This paper presents the fatigue behavior of composite materials with impact-induced damage. The impact damage parameter is proposed to evaluate the effect of impact damage on fatigue life. Subsequently, a new model is developed to predict the fatigue life of impacted composite materials. Also, a stochastic model is proposed to describe the variation of fatigue life due to the material nonhomogeneity. For these models, the fatigue tests were performed on the unimpacted and impacted composite materials, The effect of impact damage on fatigue life can be characterized by the impact damage parameter. Additionally, the results by the present fatigue life prediction model agree will with experimental results regardless of applied impact energy. Also, the variation of fatigue life can be described by the present stochastic model and is reduced with applied impact energy.
CFRP Laminates;Impact Damage Parameter;Fatigue Life Prediction Model;Stochastic Analysis
- Beheshty, M.H and Harris, B, 1998, 'A Constant-Life Model of Fatigue Behavior for Carbon-Fibre Composites: The Effect of Impact Damage,' Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 58, No. 1, pp. 9-18 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-3538(97)00121-8
- Broutman, L. J. and Sahu, S., 1972, 'A New Theory to Predict Cumulative Fatigue Damage in Fiberglass Reinforced Plastics,' ASTM STP 497, pp. 170-188
- Yang, J. N., 1977, 'Residual Strength Degradation Model and Theory of Periodic Proof Tests for Graphite/Epoxy Laminates,' J of Composite Materials, Vol. 11, pp. 176-203 https://doi.org/10.1177/002199837701100205
- 김정규, 강기원, 1999, '평직 Glass/Epoxy 복합 재료의 충격손상거동과 잔류강도평가,' 대한기계학회논문집 A권, 제23권, 제2호, pp. 294-303
- Caprino, G' 1984, 'Residual Strength Prediction of Impacted CFRP Laminates,' J of Composite Materials, Vol. 18, pp. 508-518 https://doi.org/10.1177/002199838401800601
- ASTM D 3039-93, 'Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Fiber Resin Composite.'
- Hwang, W. and Han, K.S., 1989, 'Fatigue of Composite Materials-Damage Model and Life Prediction,' ASTM STP 1012, pp. 87-102
- Abrate, S., 1991, 'Impact on Laminated Composite Materials,' Applied Mechanics Rev. Vol. 44, No 4, pp 155-190
- Gray, T. D., 1975, 'Foreign Object Damage and Fatigue Interaction in Unidirectional Boron/Aluminum-6061,' ASTM STP 569, pp. 262-279
- Tai, N.H., Yip, M.C. and Lin, J.L., 1998, 'Effects of Low-energy Impact on the Fatigue Behavior of Carbon/Epoxy Composites,' Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 58, No. 1, pp. 1-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-3538(97)00075-4
- Ramkumar, R. L., 'Effect of Low-Velocity Impact Damage on the Fatigue Behavior of Graphite/Epoxy Laminates,' ASTM STP 813, pp. 116-135