- Volume 24 Issue 2 Serial No. 173
In this paper, thermite and gas pressure weldings have been used to join rails in-track and analyzed as functions of hardness and wear characteristics. The wear rate of thermite welded rail is low compared with that of gas pressure welded rail, which is tested in a pin-on-disk wear tester. The hardness of thermite welded materials is relatively high and narrowly distributed between three zones; welded part, thermally affected zone, and base matrix. Wear of a welded rail may be a major factor in railroad maintenance costs and failures at the rail-rail huh joint.
Rail;Wheel;Thermite Welding;Gas Pressure Welding;Hardness;Wear
- Hannafious, J., 1990, FAST/HAL Rail Performance Test, Workshop on Heavy Axle Loads, Pueblo Co., paper 10, AAR
- Tyfour, W. R. and Beynon, J. H., 1994, 'The Effect of Rolling Direction Reversal on the Wear Rate and Wear Mechanism Pearlitic Rail Steel,' Tribology Interantional, Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 401-411
- Bsch, T. A., Becker, P. C. and Rhee, S. K., 1986, 'Dry Friction and Wear of Toughened Zirconias and Toughened Aluminas Against Steel,' Wear, Vol. 110, pp. 263-283 https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1648(86)90103-1
- Clayton, P., 1995, 'Predicting the Wear of Rails on Curves from Laboratory Data,' Wear, 181-183, pp. 11-19 https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1648(95)90003-9
- Jang, Sun-Tae and Lee, Young Z., 1997, 'Friction and Wear Behavior of Ceramics under Various Sliding Environments,' J. of the KSTLE, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 11-13
- Kapelski, G., Platon, F. and Boch, P., 1988, 'Unlubricated Wear and Friction Behavior of Alumina and Silicon Carbide Ceramics,' Proc. 15th Leeds-Lyon Symposium on Tribology, pp. 349-354
- Roger, S., 1994, 'In-Track Rail and Frog-Repair Welding,' Railway Track and Structures, pp. 25-28
- Chung Kyung Kim, Nickolai K. Myshkin, et al., 1997, Introduction To Tribology, Cheong Moon Gak Publishing Co.