- Volume 11 Issue 1
Small area estimation is becoming important in survey sampling due to a growing demand for reliable small area statistics. In estimating means, totals, and other parameters for small areas of a finite population, samplie sizes for small areas are typically small because the overall sample size is usually determined to provide specific accuracy at a much higher level of aggregation than that of small area. The usual direct estimators that use the only information which is gotten from the sample in a given small area provide unreliable estimates. However, indirect estimators utilize the information from the areas related with a given small area, that is, borrow strength from other related areas, and so give more accurate estimates than direct estimators. In this paper we investigate small area estimation methods such as synthetic, composite and empirical best linear unbiased prediction estimator, and apply them to real domestic data which is from the Survey of Hotels and Restaurants in In-Chon as of 1996 and then evaluate the performance of these methods by measuring average squared errors. This evaluation shows that indirect estimators, which are small area estimation methods, are more efficient than direct estimator.
- 1995년 기준 도소매업 및 서비스업 통계조사보고서, 통계청 통계청
- Statistical Science v.9 Small Area Estimation : An Appraisal Ghosh, M.;Rao, J. N. K.
- Journal of the American Statistical Association v.85 The Estimation of the Mean Squared Error of Small-Area Estimators Prasad, N. G. N.;Rao, J. N. K.
- Journal of the American Statistical Association v.94 Hierachical Bayes Estimation of Unemployment rates for the U. S. states Datta, G. S.;Lahiri, P.;Maiti, T.;Lu, K. L.
- Survey Methodology v.8 Hierachical Bayes Estimation of Unemployment rates for the U. S. states Derw, D.;Singh, M. P.;Choudhry, G. H.
- Small Area Statistics Small Area Data: Policy Issues and Technical Challenges Brackstone, G. J.;Platek, R.(ed.);Rao, J. N. K.(ed.);Sarndal, C. E.(ed.);Singh, M. P.(ed.)
- 1996년 기준 사업체기초통계조사보고서, 통계청 통계청
- Journal of the American Statistical Association v.68 Transformation for Estimation of Linear Models with Nested-Error Structure Fuller, W. A.;Battese, G. E.
- Journal of the American Statistical Association v.91 Estimation of Median Income of Four-person Families : A Bayesian Approach Ghosh, M.;Mangia, N.;Kim, D. H.
- The Annals of Mathematical Statistics v.21 Estimation of Genetic Parameters Herderson, C. R.
- Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference v.75 Hierarchical Bayes GLMs for the Analysis of Spatial Data : An Application to disease mapping Ghosh, M.;Natarajan, K.;Waller L. A.;Kim, D.
- Small Area Statistics Using Model-Based Estimation to Improve the Estimate of Uneployment on a Regional Level in the Swedish Labor Force Survey Cassel, C. M.;Kristiansson, G.;Raback, G.;Wahlstrom, S.;Platek, R.(ed.);Rao, J. N. K.(ed.);Sarndal, C. E.(ed.);Singh, M. P.(ed.)
- Survey Methodology v.25 Some Recent Advances in Model-Based Small Area Estimation Rao, J. N. K.
- Journal of the American Statistical Association v.84 Small Domain Estimation : A Conditional Analysis Sarndal, C. E.;Hidiroglou, M. A.
- Proceedings of the Social Statistics Section Use and Evaluation of Synthetic Estimators Gonzalez, M. E.
- 1996 도·소매업총조사보고서, 통계청 통계청
- Biometrics v.35 Estimation for Small Domain Purcell, N. J.;Kish, L.