- Volume 30 Issue 3
To find the possibility in utilizing the fish meat processing by-products, protein nutritional quality and textural properties of crucian carp extraction residue (CCER, feeze dired) incorporated into cookies were investigated. Moisture, ash and protein contents in cookies were increased with the higher residue treatments, but lipid contents were similar within all levels (3%, 9% and 15%). Major constitutional amino acids were revealed as glutamic acid, proline, leucine and arginine, and the sum of those amino acids was about 50% of total amino acid contents. Cookies with residue (CCER) had higher (80.74~84.50%) in vitro protein digestibility than standard cookies (83.32%), while slightly lower trypsin indigestible substrate (TIS) contents were showed in CCER containing cookies than control. CCER treatments resulted the decreased protein nutritional quality in C-PER (computed protein efficiency ratio) value from 2.41 (standard) to 1.15 (cinnamon flavored. 9% CCER), and those C-PER of all cookies were lower than ANRC casein (2.50). Lipophilic browning was developed steadily till 60 days storage and a significant (p<0.05) changes of browning ws not noteed between 60 days and 90 days storage. Color of cookies, expressed as L, a and b value, was significantly (p<0.05) lightened with the increased CCER. Similar trends by treatments were noted for hardness. Cookies containing 9% CCER were similar to control regarding textual and sensory properties.
- J. Korean Soc Food Nutr. v.28 Protein nutritional qualities of fish meat extracts and their residues Cho, H.K.;Hwang, E.Y.;Moon, J.H;Ryu, H S.
- Official Methods of Analysis(15th ed.) AOAC
- Analytical Biochemistry v.87 Colorimtric screening assay for cystine in legume seed meals Felker, D J.Waines, W.B.
- Anal. Chem. v.20 Chemical determination of tryptophan study of color forming reaction of tryptophan p-dimethylamino benzaldehyde and sodium nitrate in sulfuric acid solution Spies, J.R.;Chamber, D.C.
- Food Technol. v.31 Rapid in vitro assay for estimating protein quality Satterlee, L.D;Kendrick, J G.;Miller, G A.
- J. AOAC v.65 Calculated protein efficiency ratio (C-PER and DC-PER), Official first action AOAC
- J. Food Sci. Natr. v.3 High temperature-cooking effects on protein quality of fish extracts Ryu, H.S.;Moon, J.H.;Hwang, E.Y;Yoon, H.D.
- Ph. D. Thesis Nutritional evaluation of protein quality in some seafood Ryu, H.S.
- Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi v.42 Studies on the browning of dehydrated food as a function of water activity.Ⅰ.Effect of Aw on browning amino acid-lipid systems Chung, C.H;Toyomizu, M.
- J. Food Sci v.61 Variations in internal color of cooked beef patties Van Laack, R L;Berry, B.W.;Solomon, M.B.
- Cereal Foods World v.36 Instrumental measurement of the hardness of cookies and crackers Gaines, C.S.
- Cereal. Chem. v.69 Instrumental measurement of cookies hardness.Ⅰ. Assessment of methods Gaines, C.S;Kassuba, A.;Finney, P.L.
- Cereal Chem. v.69 Instrumental measurement of cookies hardness.Ⅱ.Application to product quality variables Gaines, C.S.;Kassuba, A;Finney, P.L.
- J. Korean Soc Food Sci. Nutr. v.28 Characteristics of sugar cookies with replacement of sucrose with sugar alcohols (Ⅱ) Textural characteristics of sugar alcohol cookies Shin, I.Y.;Kim, H.I.;Kim, C S;Whang, K.
- Food Composition Kim, S.A.
- Korean J. Food Sci. Technol v.23 Studies on the browning reaction of sugar derivative sweeteners Lee, C.H.;Han, B.J.;Kim, N.Y;Lim, J.K.;Kim, B.C.
- Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. v.29 Gas production of chemical leavening agents and effects on textures of cookies Yang, S Y.;Kim, S.Y;Jang, K.S.;Oh, D.K.