- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Design of a High-Speed Heddle Frame
고속 직기용 복합재료 헤들 프레임의 설계에 관한 연구
- Lee, Chang-Seop (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- O, Je-Hun (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, Dae-Gil
- Published : 2001.02.01
The up and down speed of heddle frames that produce woven cloth by insertion of weft yarns between warp yarns has been increased recently much for productivity improvement, which induces higher inertial stresses and vibrations in the heddle frame. the heddle frame is required to reduce its mass because the heddle frame contributes the major portion of the stresses in the heddle frames during accelerating and decelerating. Conventional aluminum heddle frames have fatigue life of around 5 months at 550rpm due to their low fatigue flexural strength as well as low bending stiffness. In this work, since carbon/epoxy composite materials have high specific fatigue strength(S/p), high specific modulus(E/p), high damping capacity and sandwich construction results in lower deflections and higher buckling resistance, the sandwich structure composed of carbon/epoxy composite skins and polyurethane foam were employed for the high-speed heddle frame. The design map for the sandwich beams was accomplished to determine the optimum thickness and the stacking sequences for the heddle frames. Also the effects of the number of ribs on the stress of the heddle frame were investigated by FEM analyses. Finally, the high-speed heddle frames were manufactured with sandwich structures and the static and dynamic properties of the aluminum and the composite heddle frames were tested and compared with each other.
Heddle Frame;Loom;Fatigue;Composite Materials;Sandwich Structure;Failure Load Map
- Ho, H., Tsai, M. Y., Morton, J. and Farley, G. L., 1993, 'Numerical Analysis of the Iosipescu Specimen for Composite Materials,' Composite Science and Technology, Vol. 46, pp. 115-128 https://doi.org/10.1016/0266-3538(93)90167-F
- Henry, S. D., Dragolich, K. S. and DiMatteo, N. D., 1995, Fatigue Data Book: Light Structural Alloys, ASM International
- Vinson, J. R., 1999, The Behavior of Sandwich Structures of Isotropic and Composite Materials, Technomic Publishing, Co. INC
- American Society for Testing and Material D2344-84, 1995, 'Standard Test Method for Apparent Interlaminar Shear Strength of Parallel Fiber Composites by the Short-Beam Method,'
- American Society for Testing and Material D4457-85, 1990, 'Standard Test Method for Apparent Horizontal Shear Strength of Pultruded Reinforced Plastic Rods by the Short-Beam Method,'
- Malick, P. K., 1988, Fiber-Reinforced Composites Materials, Manufacturing and Design, Marcel Dekker, INC
- 최진호, 이대길, 1992, '집착제의 두께와 열 응력에 따른 조인트의 토크 특성,' 대한기계학회논문집, 제 16권, 제 10 호, pp. 1841-1852
- Awerbuch, J. and Hahn, H. T., 1981, 'Off-Axis Fatigue of Graphite/Epoxy Composite,' Fatigue of Fibrous, Composite Materials, ASTM STP 723, pp. 243-273
- Choi, J. K. and Lee, D. G., 1997, 'Manufacturing of a Carbon Fiber Epoxy Composite Spindle-Bearing System for a Machine Tool,' Composite Structures, Vol. 37, pp. 241-251 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(97)80016-5
- Hwu, C. and Hsieh, C. H., 'The Effect of Transverse Shear Stress on the Bucking of the Delaminated Composite Sandwich Beams,' ACCM-1, October 7-9, Osaka, Japan, pp. 303_1-303_4
- Yeh, W. N. and Wu, Y. E., 'Enhancement of Bucking Characteristics for Sandwich Structure with Fiber Reinforced Composite Skins and Core Made of Aluminum Honeycomb and Polyurethane Foam,' Theoretical and Applied Fracture mechanics, Vol. 15, pp. 63-74 https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-8442(91)90005-5
- Ha, K. H, 1992, 'Exact Analysis of Bending and Overall Buckling of Sandwich Beam Systems,' Computers and Structures, Vol. 45, pp. 31-40 https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(92)90342-W
- Americam Society for Testing and Material E1049-85, 1996, 'Standard Practices for Cycle Counting in Fatigue Analysis,'
- Dowing, N. E., 1993, Mechanical Behavior of Materials, Prentice-Hall
- ASM International, 1990, Metal Handbook, Properties and Selection: Nonferrous Alloys and Special-Purpose Materials
- ASM International, 1988, Engineered Materials Handbook: Engineering Plastics
- Swanson Analysis Systems, 1995, ANSYS User's Manual, ANSYS, Inc
- 한국기계연구원, 1996, High Speed Positive Cam Shedding 기계 개발, 통상산업부
- Gibson, R. F., 1994, Principles of Positive Composite Material Mechanics, McGraw-Hill
- Cheon, S. S., Choi, J. H. and Lee, D. G., 1995, 'Development of the Composite Bumper Beam for Passenger Cars,' Composite Structures, Vol. 32, pp. 491-499 https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-8223(95)00078-X
- Cho, D. H., Lee, D. G. and Choi, J. H., 1997, 'Manufacture of One-Piece Automotive Drive Shafts with Aluminum and Composite Materials,' Composite Structures, Vol. 38, pp. 309-319 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(97)00065-2
- Lee, D. G., Kim, K. S. and Kwak, Y. K., 1991, 'Manufacturing of a Scara Type Direct-Drive Robot with Graphite Fiber Epoxy Composite Materials,' Robotica, Vol. 9, pp. 219-229
- 이대길, 정광훈, 최진호, 1998, 복합재료 역학 및 제조 기술, 시그마프레스
- Jones, R. M., 1975, Mechanics of Composite Materials, Scripta Book Co
- 정광섭, 오세훈, 이대길, 1995, '동시경화 접착법에 의한 하모닉 드라이브용 복합재료 플레스 플라인의 제조 및 특성 평가,' 대한기계학회논문집, 제 19 권, 제 12 호, pp. 3308-3316
- Bang, K. K., Choi, J. K., Kim, H. S., Lee, D. G. and Jeon, H. S., 1997, 'Development of the Guide Rollers Using Electroplated Carbon Fiber-Epoxy Composite for Thin Polymer Film Processing,' Composite Structures, Vol. 38, pp. 321-328 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(97)00066-4
- Wingate, I. B., 1976, Textile Fabrics and Their Selection. 7th Edition), Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- Hall, A. J., 1975, The Standard Handbook of Textiles. 8th Edition, Newnes-Butterworths