- Volume 6 Issue 2
Physicochemical Characteristics of Various Peach Cultivars
- Lee, Jun-Young (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Catholic University of Daegu) ;
- Park, Heui-Dong (Department of Food Science and Technology, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Park, Sang-Won (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Catholic University of Daegu)
- Published : 2001.06.01
Physical and chemical characteristics of four white-and one yellow-fleshed peach cultivars were compared at optimum maturity stage. In addition, differences of phenolic composition, polyphenol oxidase (PPO) activities and PPO isozyme patterns in two peach types were also investigated. There are no significant differences in firmness and color values between two peach types, except for "Yumyung", a white-fleshed peach with the highest firmness, and "Hwangdo", a yellow-fleshed peach with the highest yellowness (b)* value. In general, the soluble solid/titratable acidity ratios, ascorbic acid and total phenolic contents were significantly higher for white-fleshed peaches than those for yellow-fleshed peach (p<0.05). Three major phenolic compounds, catechin, neochlorogenic acid and chlorogenic acid, were found in both the white-and yellow-fleshed peaches. Among them, catechin was the predominant phenolic compound in the white-fleshed peaches, followed by neochlorogenic acid, and chlorogenic acid. Meanwhile, neochlorogenic acid was present in the highest level of the yellow-fleshed peach, but levels of two other phenolic compounds were lower. PPO activities of the white-fleshed peaches were generally higher than that of the yellow-fleshed peach, with the one major band and two minor bands, and there were no big differences in PPO isozyme patterns between two different peach cultivars.
- J. Applied Sci. Res. Inst. Catholic Uni. Taegu-Hyosung v.7 Processing of peach and it's future prospect Kim, S.D.;Cho, J.W.
- General Statistical Analysis, 126-22-13 Processing situation of Fruits and Vegetables : Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries, Korea
- Annual report of Fruits and Vegetables, Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries
- Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. v.4 Studies on the chemical composition of major fruits in Korea Lee, D.S.;Woo, S.K.;Yang, C.B.
- J. Agric. Food Chem. v.38 Comparison of the volatile compounds from several commercial peach cultivars Horvat, R.J.;Chapman, G.W. Jr.;Robertson, J.A.;Meredith, F.I.;Scorza, R.;Callahan, A.M.;Morgens, P.
- J. Agric. Food Chem. v.38 Effect of cold storage and maturity on the physical and chemical characteristics and volatile constituents of peaches (Cv. Cresthaven) Roberson, J.A.;Meredith, F.I.;Horvat, R.J.;Senter, S.D.
- J. Food Sci. v.55 Comparison of quality characteristics of selected yellow-and white-fleshed peach cultivars Robertson, J.A.;Horvat, R.J.;Lyon, B.G.;Meredith, F.I.;Wenter, S.D.;Okie, W.R.
- Kor. J. Postharvest Sci. Technol. v.6 Volatile flavor components in various varieties of pcach (Prunus persica L.) cultivated in Korea Park, E.R.;Jo, J.O.;Kim, K.S.
- J. East Asian Soc. Dietary Life v.4 Fermentation of acidic beverage with dropped peach Kim, S.D.;Lee, J.S.;Kim, M.K.
- Kor. J. Postharvest Sci. Technol. v.7 Characteristics of peach vinegar by parallel complex fementation CHo, J.W.;Kim, I.S.;Kim, M.K.;Lee, Y.K.;Kim, S.D.
- Kor. J. Postharvest Sci. Technol. v.7 Characteristics of peach wine prepared by using different cultivars Cho, J.W.;Kim, J.K.;Kim, I.D.;Kim, S.D.
- J. Food Sci. v.32 Polyphenolic compounds in canned cling peaches Luh, B.S.;Hsu, E.T.;Stachowicz, K.
- J. Sci. Food Agric. v.21 Changes in the levels of catechol oxidase and laccase activity in devcloping peaches Harel, E.;Mayer, A.M.;Lerner, H.R.
- J. Food Sci. v.43 Peroxidase and polyphenol oxidase activities in developing peaches Flurkey, W.;Jen, J.J.
- J. Food Sci. v.54 Phenolic compounds of the mesocarp of crestharven peaches during storage and ripening Senter, S.D.;Robertson, J.A.;Meredith, F.I.
- J. Agric. Food Chem. v.38 Enzymatic browning in relation to phenolic compounds and polyphenoloxidase activity among various peach cultivars Lee, C.Y.;Kagan, V.;Jaworski, A.W.;Brown, S.K.
- J. Agric. Food Chem. v.48 Low-density lipoprotein antioxidant activity of phenolic compounds and polyphenol oxidase activity in selected clingstone peach cultivars Chang, S.;Tan, C.;Frankel, E.N.;Barrett, D.M.
- J. Chromatogr. v.246 Simultaneous analysis of ascorbic acid and dehydroascorbic acid in fruit and vegetables by high-performance liquid chromatography Wimalasiri, P.;Wills, R.B.H.
- Am. J. Enol. Vitic. v.16 Colorimeter of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic-phosphotungstic acid reagents Singleton, V.L.;Rossi, J.A.
- J. Agric. Food Chem. v.44 Substrates and carboxylic acid inhibitors of a partially purified polyphenol oxidase from gum arabic Billaud, C.;Lecornu, D.;Nicolas, J.
- Nature v.227 Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bactereiophage Laemmli, U.K.
- SAS User's Guide SAS Institute, INc.