- Volume 25 Issue 11
This paper provides d simplified engineering J estimation method fur semi-e1liptical surface cracked plates in tension, based on the reference stress approach. Note that the essential element of the reference stress approach is the plastic limit lead in the definition of the reference stress. However, for surface cracks, the definition of the limit load is ambiguous ("local" or "global"limit lead), and thus the most relevant limit load (and thus reference stress) for the J estimation should be determined. In the present work, such limit load solution is found by comparing reference stress bated J results with those from extensive 3-D finite element analyses. Validation of the proposed equation against FF J results based on tactual experimental tensile data of a 304 stainless steel shows excellent agreements not only far the J values at the deepest point but also for those at an arbitrary paint along the crack front, including at the surface point. Thus the present results provide a good engineering tool for elastic-plastic fracture analyses of surface cracked plates in tension.
Finite Element Analysis;J-integral;Limit Load;Reference Stress Method;Surface Crack
- 허남수, 김윤재, 김영진, 2001, '원자력 배관의 파단전누설 해석을 위한 개선된 참조응력법의 수치해석적 검증,' 대한기계학회논문집(A) 제25권 제4호, pp. 741-747
- Raju, I.S. and Newman Jr., J.C., 1979, 'Stress Intensity Factors for a Wide Range of Semi-Elliptical Surface Cracks in Finite-Thickness Plates,' Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 11, pp. 817-829 https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7944(79)90139-5
- 2000, 'ABAQUS User's manual,' Hibbitt, Karlson & Sorensen, Inc.
- Kim, Y.J., Suh, M.W., Jun, H.K., Park, Y.W. and Choi, Y.H., 1997, 'Development of Expert System for Nuclear Piping Intergrity,' Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol. 174, pp. 69-78 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(97)00070-8
- Sattari-Far, I., 1994, 'Finite Element Analysis of Limit Loads for Surface Cracks in Plates,' International Journal of Pressure Vessels & Piping, Vol. 57, pp. 237-243 https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-0161(94)90058-2
- Miller, A.G., 1988, 'J Estimation for Surface Defects : Further Results,' CEGB Memorandom TPRD/B/SM/SF95/M88
- Miller, A.G., 1988, 'Review of Limit Loads of Structures Containing Defects,' International Journal of Pressure Vessels & Piping, Vol. 32, pp. 191-327 https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-0161(88)90073-7
- Goodall, I.W., 1999, 'C* for Partially-Penetrating Semi-Elliptic Flaws in Plates: Propagation Through the Thickness,' ICON Report ME 196/01 Issue 2
- Yagawa, G., Kitajima, Y. and Ueda, H., 1993, 'Three-Dimensional Fully Plastic Solutions for Semi-Elliptical Surface Cracks,' International Journal of Pressure Vessels & Piping, Vol. 53, pp. 457-510 https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-0161(93)90073-3
- McClung, R.C., Chell, G.G., Lee, Y.D., Russel, D.A. and Orient, G.E., 1999, 'Develpment of a Practical Methodology for Elastic-Plastic and Fully Plastic Fatigue Crack Growth,' NASA Report NASA/CR-1999-209428
- 1999, 'R6 : Assessment of the Intergrity of Structures Containing Defects,' Revision 3, British Energy Generation Ltd.
- Kumar, V. and German, M.D., 1988, 'Elastic-Plastic Fracture Analysis of Through-Wall and Surface Flaws in Cylinders,' EPRI Report NP-5596
- Zahoor, A., 1991, 'Ductile Fracture Handbook,' Novotech Corp.
- Ainsworth, R.A., 1984, 'The Assessment of Defects in Structures of Strain Gardening Materials,' Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 19, pp. 633-642 https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7944(84)90096-1
- Lee, H. and Parks, D.M., 1995, 'Enhanced Elastic Plastic Line-Spring Finite Elements,' International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 32(16), pp. 2393-2418 https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(94)00187-2
- 이준성, 김영진, 양원호, 최용식, 1990, '선 스프링 모델에 의한 2개의 표면균열의 상호간섭 해석,' 대한기계학회논문집, 제14권 제3호, pp. 610-616