- Volume 25 Issue 11
A multi-layered brick element fur the finite element method is developed for analyzing the three-dim-ensionally layered composite structures subjected to both thermal and mechanical boundary conditions. The element has eight nodes with one degree of freedom for the temperature and three for the display-ements at each node, and can contain arbitrary number of layers with different material properties with-in the element; the conventional element should contain one material within an element. Thus the total number of nodes and elements, which are needed to analyze the multi-layered composite structures, can be tremendously reduced. In solving the global equation, a partitioning technique is used to obtain the temperature and the displacements which are caused by both the mechanical boundary conditions and temperature distributions. The results by using the developed element are compared wish the commercial package, ANSYS and the conventional finite element methods, and they are in good agreement. It is also shown that the Number of nodes and elements can be tremendously reduced using the element without losing the numerical accuracies.
Coupled Field Problem;Partitioning Technique;Layered Brick Element;Thermo-Mechanical Analysis;Finite Element Method
- Ha, S. K. and Jeong, J. Y., 1996, 'Design Optimization of Hip Prosthesis of Thick Laminated Composites by Developing Finite Element Method and Sensitivity Analysis,' KSME Journal, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 1-11
- Tsai, S. W. and Hahn, H. T., 1980, Introduction to Composites Materials, Technomic Publishing Company
- Desalvo, G. J. and Swanson, J. A., 1994, ANSYS(Engineering Analysis System) User's Manual, Swanson Analysis System
- Holman, J. P., 1992, Heat Transfer, 7th Edition, McGraw-Hill Book Co.
- Zienkiewiez, O. C. and Taylor, R. L., 1989, The Finite Element Method, Fourth Edition, Vol. 1, McGraw-Hill Book Co.
- Zienkiewiez, O. C. and Taylor, R. L., 1989, The Finite Element Method, Fourth Edition, Vol. 2, McGraw-Hill Book Co.
- Kant, T. and Menon, M. P., 1991, 'Estimation of Interlaminar Stresses in Fiber Reinforced Composite Cylindrical Shells,' Computer & Structures, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 131-147 https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(91)90092-Z
- 조성수, 하성규, 1999, '온도-엔탈피 관계를 이용한 응고과정의 유한요소 해석,' 대한기계학회논문집, 제23권, 제10호, pp. 1213-1222
- Wanthal, S. P. and Yang, H. T. Y., 1991, 'Three-Dimensional Finite Element Formulation for Laminated Plates,' Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, Vol. 10, pp. 330-355 https://doi.org/10.1177/073168449101000401
- Wang, A. S. D. and Crossman, F. W., 1978, 'Calculation of Edge Stresses in Multilayered Laminates by Sub-Structuring,' Journal of Composites Materials, Vol. 12, pp. 76-82 https://doi.org/10.1177/002199837801200106
- Tay, T. E., 1992, 'Finite Element Analysis of Thermoelastic Coupling in Composites,' Computer & Structures, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 107-112 https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(92)90084-D
- Cesari, F., 1994, 'Simple Programmes on Thermoelastic Analysis of Composite Laminated Materials,' Compurter & Structures, Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 551-567 https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(94)90100-7
- Felippa, C. A. and Park, K. C., 1980, 'Staggered Transient Analysis Procedures for Coupled Mechanical Systems : Formulation,' Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 24, pp. 61-111 https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7825(80)90040-7
- Mukherjee, Nilanjan and Shina, P. K., 1994, '3D Thermostructural Response in Thick Laminated Composites: A Finite Element Approach,' Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, Vol. 13, pp. 977-997 https://doi.org/10.1177/073168449401301102
- Zienkiewicz, O. C., 1984, 'Coupled Problems and their Numerical Solution,' Numerical Methods in Coupled Systems, John Wiley & Son Ltd., pp. 35-58
- Lewis, R.W. and Bass, B. R., 1976, 'The Determination of Stresses and Temperatures in Cooling Bodies by Finite Elements,' Transaction of the ASME Series C, Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 98, No. 3, pp. 478-484
- Wood, W. L., 1987, 'Some Transient and Coupled Problems - A State-of-Art Review,' Numerical Methods for Transient and Coupled Problems, John Wiley & Sons. Inc., pp. 149-177
- 안병규, 1995, '3차원 적층 육면체 요소를 이용한 복합재 구조물의 응력 해석,' 석사학위논문, 한양대학교, 서울