- Volume 25 Issue 11
Partial penetration welding Joint defines that groove welds without steel backing, welded from on side, and groove weeds welded from both sides but without back gouging, that is. it has an unwelded portion at the root of the weld. In this study we analysed fur residual stress and displacement distribution on partial penetration welding condition of thick plate metal. For 25.4mm thick plate, theoretical residual stress and displacement analysis by finite element method using ABAQUS was carried out and compared with the experimental result using hole-drilling method. In results of the condition of partial penetration, it appeared that longitudinal stress at welding area was a little difference and transverse stress did not have any effect by partial penetration multi-pass welding. From a point of welding distortion in partial penetration multi-pass welding, it seemed to be better to control root face smaller than 6.35mm.
Partial Penetration Welding;Multi-Pass Weld;Hole Drilling Method;Residual Stress
- ABAQUS User's Manual, HKS inc., 1998
- Shim, Y. L. and Tsai, C. L., 'Determination of Residual Stresss in Thick Section Weldment,' Welding Journal, Vol. 71, No. 9, 1992, pp. 305-312
- Ueda, Y. and Yamakawa, T., 'Analysis of Thermal Elasto-Plastic Behavior of Metals during Welding by Finite Element Method,' Journal of the Japanese Welding Society, Vol. 42, No. 6, 1973
- Yasuhisa Okumoto, 'Simulation of Welding Deformation by FEM,' TEAM '96 PUSAN, pp. 593-605, July 1996
- Shim, Y. L. and Lee, S. G., 'Modeling of Welding Heat Input for Residual Stress Analysis,' Journal of the Korean Welding Society, Vol. No. 3, Sep., 1993, p. 112
- ASTM E837-94, 'Standard Test Method for Determining Residual Stresses by the Hole Drilling Strain Gage Method'
- Tall, L., 'Residual Stresses in Welded Plates-A Theoretical Study,' Welding Journal, Vol. 43, 1964
- Masubuchi, K., Kammer, P. A. and Monroe, R. E., 'Analysis of Thermal Stresses and Metal Movements of Weldments: A Basic Study toward Computer Aided Analysis and Control of Welded Structure,' SNAME Trans., Vol. 82, pp. 143-167, 1974
- Fujita, Y. and Nomoto, T., 'Studies on Thermal-Elasto-Plastic Problems,' Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Japan, Vol. 130, 1972
- AWS D1.1 Structural welding code
- Koichi Masubuchi, 'Analysis of Welded Structures,' Pergamon Press, 1980, p. 148