- Volume 25 Issue 12
Recent developments in microfluidic devices based on microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) technique find many practical applications, which include electronic chip cooling devices, power MEMS devices, micro sensors, and bio-medical devices among others. For the design of such micro devices, flows characteristics inside a microchannel have to be clarified which exhibit somewhat different characteristics compared to conventional flows in a macrochannel. In the present study microchannels of various hydraulic diameters are fabricated on a silicon wafer to study the pressure drop characteristics. The effect of abrupt contraction and expansion is also studied. It is found from the results that the friction factor in a straight microchannel is about 15% higher than that in a conventional macrochannel, and the loss coefficients in abrupt expansion and contraction are about 10% higher than that obtained through conventional flow analysis.
Microchannel;Microfluidics;Pressure Loss;Friction Factor;MEMS
- Yang, C. and Li, D., 1998, 'Analysis of Electro- kinetic Effects on the Liquid Flow in Rectangular Microchannels,' Colloids and Surfaces, A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects 143, pp. 339 - 353 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0927-7757(98)00259-3
- Mala, G. M. and Li, D., 1999, 'Flow Characteristics of Water in Microtubes,' Int. Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, Vol. 20, pp. 142-148 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-727X(98)10043-7
- Benedict R.P., 1980, Fundamentals of Pipe Flow, John Wiley & Sons
- Shah R.K., London A.L., 1978, 'Laminar Flow Forced Convection in Ducts,' Academic press
- Munson, B.R., Young, D.F. and Okiishi T.H., 1994, Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics, Wiley, 2nd Ed.
- Merkle, C.L., Kubota, T. and Ko, DRS., 1974, 'An Analytical Study of the Effects of Surface Roughness on Boundary Layer Transition,' AF Office of Science Res., Space and Missile Sys. Org. AD/A004786
- 김형우, 한재욱, 정시영, 허남건, 2000, '미소유로에서의 유동 특성에 관한 실험적 연구,' 제 1회 한국유체공학학술대회 논문집, pp. 423-426
- Tuckerman, D.B. and Pease, R.F.W., 'High Performance Heat Sinking for VLSI,' IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. EDL-2 No.5 (1981), pp. 126-129
- Wu, P.Y. and Little, W.A., 1983, 'Measurement of Friction Factor for Flow of Gases in very fine Channels used for Microminiature Joule - Thompson Refrigerators,' Cryogenics 24(8), pp. 273 - 277
- Harley J. and Bau H., 1989, 'Fluid Flow in Micron and Submicron size Channel,' IEEE Trans., pp. 25 - 28 https://doi.org/10.1109/MEMSYS.1989.77954
- Pfahler, J., 1992, 'Liquid Transport in Micron and Submicron size channels,' Ph.D Thesis at Univ. of Pennsylvania
- Weilin, Q., Mala, G. M. and Li, D., 2000, 'Pressure Driven Water Flows in Trapezoidal Silicon Microchannels,' Int. Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 43, pp. 353 - 364 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(99)00148-9