- Volume 12 Issue 1
Random effects models which describe the dependence via random effects in various correlated data have recently received considerable attention in the biomedical literature. They include mixed linear models (MLMs), generatized linear mixed models (GLMMS) and hierarchical generalized linear models (HGLMs). For the inference Lee and Nelder (2000) proposed the first-and second-order REML (restricted maximum likelihood) methods based on hierarchical-likelihood of tee and Welder (1996). In this paper, for Poisson-gamma HGLMs the new methods are theoretically compared with marginal likelihood methods and both methods are illustrated by two practical examples.
- Statistical Science v.10 Baysian computation and stochastic systems (with discussion) Besag, J.;Green, P.;Higdon, D.;Mengersen, K.
- Journal of the American Statistical Association v.91 On the generalization of the likelihood function and likelihood principle Bjornstad, J. F.
- Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B v.49 Parameter orthogonality and approximate conditional inference (with discussion) Cox, D. R.;Reid, N.
- Journal of the American Statistical Association v.91 Empirical Bayes methods for combining likelihoods (with discussion) Efron, B.
- Technometrics v.29 Robust empirical Bayes analysis of event rates Gaver, D. P.;O'Muircheartaigh, I. G.
- Hierarchical likelihood approach for frailty models Ha, I. D.;Lee, Y.;Song, J.-K.
- Hierarchical likelihood approach for mixed linear models with censored data Ha, I. D.;Lee, Y.;Song, J.-K.
- Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B v.58 Hierarchical generalized linear models (with discussion) Lee, Y.;Nelder, J. A.
- Technical Report Hierarchical generalized linear models: a synthesis of generalized linear models, random-effect models and structured dispersions Lee, Y.;Nelder, J. A.
- Biometrika v.58 Recovery of interblock information when block sizes are unequal Patterson, H. D.;Thompson, R.
- Statistical Theory and Modelling Approximations and asymptotics Reid, N.;D. V. Hinkley(ed.);N. Reid(ed.);E. J. Snell(ed.)
- Biometrics v.46 Some covariance models for longitudinal count data with overdispersion Thall, P. F.;Vail, S. C.