- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Genetic Studies on Production Efficiency Traits in Hariana Cattle
- Dhaka, S.S. (Department of Animal Breeding, CCS Haryana Agricultural University) ;
- Chaudhary, S.R. (Department of Animal Breeding, CCS Haryana Agricultural University) ;
- Pander, B.L. (Department of Animal Breeding, CCS Haryana Agricultural University) ;
- Yadav, A.S. (Department of Animal Breeding, CCS Haryana Agricultural University) ;
- Singh, S. (Department of Animal Breeding, CCS Haryana Agricultural University)
- Received : 2001.05.24
- Accepted : 2001.11.30
- Published : 2002.04.01
The data on 512 Hariana cows, progeny of 20 sires calved during period from 1974 to 1993 maintained at Government Livestock Farm, Hisar were considered for the estimation of genetic parameters. The means for first lactation milk yield (FLY), wet average (WA), first lactation peak yield (FPY), first lactation milk yield per day of first calving interval (MCI) and first lactation milk yield per day of age at second calving (MSC) were 1,141.58 kg, 4.19 kg/day, 6.24 kg/day, 2.38 kg/day and 0.601 kg/day, respectively. The effect of period of calving was significant (p<0.05) on WA, FPY and MCI while the effect of season of calving was significant only on WA. Monsoon calvers excelled in performance for all the production efficiency traits. The effect of age at first calving (linear) was significant on all the traits except on MCI. Estimates of heritabilty for all the traits were moderate and ranged from 0.255 to 0.333 except for WA (0.161). All the genetic and phenotypic correlations among different production efficiency traits were high and positive. It may be inferred that selection on the basis of peak yield will be more effective as the trait is expressed early in life and had reasonably moderate estimate of heritability.
- Kramer, C. Y. 1957. Extension of multiple range tests to group correlated adjusted means. Biometrics. 13:13-18. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001898
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1968. Statistical Methods. 7th Ed. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co., Bombay.
- Harvey, W. R. 1987. Mixed model least-squares and maximum likelihood computer program. January, 1987.
- Pundir, R. K. and K. L. Raheja. 1994. Relationship between sires' estimated breeding value for first lactation and lifetime traits in Sahiwal and Hariana cattle. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 64:1219-1225.
- Katkade, V. N., P. G. Sakhare and K. S. Deshpande. 1995. Production efficiency traits in Jersey cows. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 65:104-105.
- Yadav, A. S. 1988. Appraisal of lactation curves in zebu cattle using different mathematical functions. Ph.D. Dissertation. CCS Haryana Agric. Univ., Hisar. India.
- Rana, M. S. 1985. Performance profiles of efficiency attributes in some zebu herds. M.V.Sc. Thesis. Haryana Agric. Univ., Hisar. India.
- Ashraf, A., S. S. Islam, A. B. M. M. Islam and S. Z. Ali. 2000. A study of some economic traits of indigenous cattle and their crossbreds in Southern Bangladesh. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 13:1189-1192. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.1189
- Singh, S. P. 1994. Scanning of linear functional type traits for production potential in zebu cattle. Ph.D. Dissertation. CCS Haryana Agric. Univ., Hisar. India.
- Sweger, L. A., W. R. Harvey, D. O. Everson and K. E. Gregory. 1964. The variance of intraclass correlation involving groups without observation. Biometrics. 20:818-826. https://doi.org/10.2307/2528131
- Robertson, A. 1959. The sampling variance of the genetic correlation coefficient. Biometrics. 15:469-485. https://doi.org/10.2307/2527750
- Dutt, T. and V. K. Taneja. 1994. Phenotypic and genetic parameters of age at first calving, first lactation milk yield and some measures of efficiency of production in Murrah buffaloes. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 64:964-968.