- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Active Immunization against Somatostatin or its Analogues on Milk Protein Synthesis of Rat Mammary Gland Cells
- Kim, J.Y. (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Cho, K.K. (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Chung, M.I. (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, J.D. (National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Woo, J.H. (Section on Biophysical Chemistry, Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Mental Health) ;
- Yun, C.H. (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Choi, Y.J. (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2001.09.20
- Accepted : 2001.11.05
- Published : 2002.04.01
Effects of active immunization against native 14-mer somatostatin (SRIF, somatotropin releasing inhibiting factor) and its two 14-mer-somatostatin analogues on the milk production in rat mammary cells were studied. Native SRIF, Tyr11-somatostatin (Tyr11-SRIF), and D-Trp8, D-Cys14-somatostatin (Trp8Cys14-SRIF) were conjugated to bovine serum albumin (BSA) for immunogen preparation. Twenty-four female Sprague-Dawley rats were divided into four groups and immunized against saline (Control), SRIF, Tyr11-SRIF, and Trp8Cys14-SRIF at five weeks of age. Booster immunizations were performed at 7, 9, and 11 weeks of age. SRIFimmunized rats were mated at 10 weeks of age. The blood and mammary glands were collected at day 15 post-pregnancy and -lactation. To measure the amount of milk protein synthesis in the mammary gland, mammary cells isolated from the pregnant and the lactating rats, were cultured in the presence of
Supported by : Korea Research Foundation
- Chihara, K., N. Minamitane, H. Kaji, H. Kodama, T. Kita and T. Fujita. 1983. Human pancreatic growth hormone-releasing factor stimulates release of growth hormone in conscious unrestrained male rabbits. Endocrinology 113:2081-2085. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-113-6-2081
- Deligeorgis, S. G., E. Rogdakis, A. Mantzios, E. Nikolaou, G. Evangelatos and V. Sotitriadis. 1988. A note on the effect of active immunization against somatostatin on milk production and growth in sheep. Anim. Prod. 46:304-308. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100042392
- Etherton, T. D., J. P. Wiggins, C. S. Chunt, C. M. Evock, J. F. Rebhun and P. E. Walton. 1986. Stimulation of pig growth performance by porcine growth hormone and growth hormone-releasing factor. J. Anim. Sci. 6:1389-1399.
- Flint, D. J., E. Tonner, J. Beattie and D. Panton. 1992. Investigation of the mechanism of action of growth hormone in stimulating lactation in the rat. J. Endocrinology 134:377-383. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1340377
- Machen, R. V., G. T. Schelling, F. M. Buyers and L. W. Greene. 1987. Response to active immunization against somatostatin in finishing steers. J. Anim. Sci. 66(Suppl. 1):246(Abstr.).
- McMahon, C. D., R. P. Radcliff, K. J. Lookingland and H. A. Tucker. 2001. Neuroregulation of growth hormone secretion in domestic animals. Domest Anim Endocrinol. 20:65-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0739-7240(01)00084-4
- Petitclerc, G., P. Dubreuil, H. Lapierre, C. Farmer and P. Brazeau. 1988. Effects of active immunization against somatostatin and growth hormone-releasing factor infusion and growth secretion in dairy heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 66(Suppl. 1):389(Abstr.).
- Tannenbaum, G. S., W. Gurd, M. Lapointe and M. Pollak. 1992. Tamoxifen attenuates pulsatile growth hormone secretion:Mediation in part by somatostatin. Endocrinology 130:3395-4001. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.130.6.3395
- Travers, M. T., M. C. Barber, E. Tonner, L. Quarrie, C. J. Wilde and D. J. Flint. 1996. The role of prolactin and growth hormone in the regulation of casein gene expression and mammary cell survival: Relationships to milk synthesis and secretion. Endocrinology 137:1530-1539. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.137.5.1530
- Wehrenberg, W. B., P. Brazeau, R. Luben, P. Bohlen and R. Guillemin. 1982. Inhibition of the pulsatile secretion of growth hormone by monoclonal antibodies to the hypothalamic growth releasing factor (GRF). Endocrinology 111:2147-2153. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-111-6-2147
- Yi, I. G., D. S. Lim, J. Y. Kim, J. M. Chung, Y. J. Choi and Y. S. Kim. 1999. Effects of active immunization against somatostatin or somatostatin analogues on millk production in rats. Nutrition Research 19:1061-1072. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(99)00066-4
- Yoyoka, S. and H. G. Friesen. 1986. Human growth hormone (GH)-releasing factor stimulates and somatostatin inhibits the release of rat GH variants. Endocrinology 119:2097-2105. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-119-5-2097
- Laarveld, B., R. K. Chaplin and D. E. Kerr. 1986. Somatostatin immunization and growth of lambs. Canadian J. Anim. Sci. 66:77-83. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas86-009
- Mears, G. J. 1990. Immunization of lambs against somatostatin to improve growth rate. Canadian J. Anim. Sci. 70:1091-1097. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas90-132
- Painson, J. and D. S. Tannenbaum. 1991. Sexual dimorphism of somatostatin and growth hormone-releasing factor signaling in the control of pulsatile growth hormone secretion in the rat. Endocrinology 128:2858-2866. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-128-6-2858PMid:1674685
- Wehrenberg, W. B., P. Brazeau, R. Luben, N. Ling and R. Guillemin. 1983. A noninvasive functional lesion of the hypothalamo-pituitaty axis for the study of growth hormonereleasing factor. Neuroendocrinology 36:489-493. https://doi.org/10.1159/000123504
- Mears, G. J. 1995. The relationship of plasma somatosmedin (IGF-1) to lamb growth rate. Canadian J. Anim. Sci. 75:327-331. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas95-050
- Tannenbaum, G. S. and N. Ling. 1984. The interrelationship of growth hormone-releasing factor and somatostatin in generation of the ultradian rhythm of growth hormone secretion. Endocrinology 115:1952-1959. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-115-5-1952
- Baumon, D. E., P. J. Epard and M. J. De Geeter. 1985. Response of high-producing dairy cows to long-term treatment with pituitary somatotropin and recombinant somatotropin. J. Dairy Sci. 68:1352-1362. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(85)80972-3
- Sinha, Y. N. and B. P. Jacobsen. 1988. Three growth hormone- and two prolactin-related novel peptides of Mr 13,000-18,000 identified in the anterior pituitary. Biochemistry Biophys Research Communication 156:171-179. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-291X(88)80820-9
Dawson, J. M., J. B. Soar, P. J. Buttery, J. Craigon, M. Gill and D. Beever. 1997. The effect of immunization against somatostatin and
$\beta$-agonist administration alone and in combination on growth and carcass composition in young steers. Anim. Sci. 64:37-51. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800015538
- Kim, J. H., M. I. Chung, K. K. Cho, C. D. Kim, Y. S. Kim, J. H. Woo and Y. J. Choi. 2001. Effects of active immunization against somatostatin or somatostatin analogues on male rat growth. 2001. Food and Agricultural Immunology 13:141-149. https://doi.org/10.1080/09540100120075790
- Coligan, J. E., A. M. Kruisbeek, D. H. Margulies, E. M. Shevach and W. Trober. 1991. In: Current Protocols in Immunolgy (Ed. J. E. Coligan). John Wiley & Sons, USA, Vol. 1, pp. 9.4.1-9.4.3.
- Lowry, O. H., N. J. Rosebrough, A. L. Farr and R. J. Randall. 1951. Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J. Bio. Chem. 193:265-275.
- SAS. 1991. SAS. STAT User's guide version 6, fourth edtion. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Bchini, O., A. C. Andres, B. Schubaur, M. Methtali, M. Lemeur, R. Lathe and P. Gerlinger. 1991. Precocious mammary gland development and milk protein synthesis in transgenic mice ubquitously expressive human growth hormone. Endocrinology 128:539-546. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-128-1-539
- Tannenbaum G. S. and C. Y. Bowers. 2001. Interactions of growth hormone secretagogues and growth hormone-releasing hormone/somatostatin. Endocrine. 14:21-7. https://doi.org/10.1385/ENDO:14:1:021
- Du, Z. L. and R. R. Hacker. 1992. An investigation of immunization against somatostatin by measuring growth and carcass parameters in gilts, Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 5:665-671.
- Du, Z. L. and R. R Hacker. 1993. An investigation of immunization against somatostatin by measuring antibody titres, somatostatin and somatotropin profiles in gilts. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 6:211-218.
- Myung, K. H. 1990. Effects of recombinant bovine somatotropin on milk production and milk composition in dairy cows. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 3247-252.
- Farmer, C. and P. Brazeau. 1992. Colostum and milk composition of sows immunized against somatostatin or its carrier protein. Canadian J. Anim. Sci. 72:177-180. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas92-022
- Lanzi, R. and G. S. Tannenbaum. 1992. Time course and mechanism of growth hormone' negative feedback effect on its own spontaneous release. Endocrinology 130:780-788. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.130.2.780
- Magnan, E., L. Mazzocchi, M. Cataldi, V. Guillaume, A. Dutour, F. Dadoun, Y. Le Bouc, N. Sauze, M. Renard, B. Conte-Devolx and C. Oliver. 1995. Effect of actively immunizing sheep against growth hormone-releasing hormone or somatostatin on spontaneous pulsatile and neostigmineinduced growth hormone secretion. J. Endocrinol. 144:83-90. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1440083
- Flint, D. J. and M. Gardner. 1994. Evidence that growth hormone stimulates milk synthesis by direct action on the mammary gland and that prolactin exerts effects on milk secretion by maintenance of mammary deoxyribonucleic acid content and tight junction status. Endocrinology 135:1119-1124. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.135.3.1119
- Desai D. C., T. M. O'Dorisio, W. J. Schirmer, S. S. Jung, H. Khabiri, V. Villanueva and E. W. Martin. 2001. Serum pancreastatin levels predict response to hepatic artery chemoembolization and somatostatin analogue therapy in metastatic neuroendocrine tumors. Regul Pept. 96:113-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-0115(00)00167-1
- Stolar, M. W. and G. Baumann. 1986. Big growth hormone forms in human plasma: immunochemical evidence for their pituitary origin. Metabolism 35:75-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/0026-0495(86)90099-5
- Arimura, A, W. D. Smith and A. V. Schally. 1976. Blockage of the stress-induced decrease in blood GH by anti-somatostatin serum in rats. Endocrinology 98:540-543. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-98-2-540
- Frenyo, V. L., G. Pethes, T. Antal and I. Szabo. 1981. Changes in colostral and serum IgG content in swine in relation to time. Veterinary Reseach Communication 4:275-282. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02278503
- Liberti, J. P. and G. S. Joshi. 1986. Synthesis and secretion of phosphorylated growth hormone by rat pituitary gland in vitro. Biochemistry Biophys Research Communication 137:806-812. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-291X(86)91151-4
- Dubreuil, P., G. Pelletier, D. Petitclerc, H. Lapierre, P. Gaudreau and P. Brazeau. 1989. Effects of active immunization against somatostatin on serum growth hormone concentration in growing pigs: Influence of fasting and repetitive somatocrinin injections. Endocrinology 125:1378-1384. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-125-3-1378
- Garssen, G. J., A. M. Welling and G. S. D. Spencer. 1987. Active immunization against somatostatin increases milk yield in goats. Netherland J. Agric. Sci. 35:84-86.
- Tannenbaum, G. S., J. Epelbaum, E. Cole, P. Brazeau and J. B. Martin. 1978. Anti-serum to somatostatin reverses starvationinduced inhibition of hormone but not insulin secretion. Endocrinology 102:1909-1914. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-102-6-1909
- Farmer, C., P. Dubreuil, G. Pelletier, D. Petitclerc and P. Brazeau. 1990. Active immunization against somatostatin in gestating gilts and the effect of transferred immunity on piglets. Canadian J. Anim. Sci. 70:211- 218. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas90-024
- Shulkes, A., C. Moore, S. Kolivas and J. Whitley. 1999. Active immunoneutralization of somatostatin in the sheep: effects on gastrointestinal somatostatin expression, storage and secretion. Regul Pept. 82:59-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-0115(99)00040-3
- Spencer, G. S. G., G. J. Garssen and I. E. Hart. 1983. A novel approach to growth promotion using auto-immunization against somatostatin. I. Effects on growth and hormone levels in lambs. Livest. Prod. Sci. 10:25-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(83)90004-0