- Volume 15 Issue 7
A study was carried out to determine glucose kinetics, nutrient balance and milk production of lactating Etawah crossbred goats. The animals (27.2 to 29.1 kg BW) were randomly divided into four levels of dietary treatment groups: the first group R1 received 100% (3 kg) fresh king grass (Penisetum purpuroides), the second group R2 received 75% king grass and 25% king grass silage prepared with chicken manure, the third group R3 received 50% king grass and 50% silage, and the fourth group R4 received 100% silage. In addition to the roughage, each group received 800 g of concentrate (CP 14.77% of DM; 17.26 MJ/kg). Animals fed king grass silage made with chicken manure were found to be superior to the group fed king grass alone. Glucose kinetics and retained energy were significantly affected. Calculations showed that glucose requirements for maintenance and milk production can be met for the groups with high levels of silage (R3 and R4). The values of glucose flux were in the range of 2.52 to 4.50 mg/min.kg
Etawah Crossbred Goats;Energy and Protein Requirements;Glucose Kinetics;Lactation;Silage
- Astuti, D. A., D. Sastradipradja, and T. Sutardi. 2000. Nutrient balance and glucose metabolism of female growing, late pregnant and lactating Etawah crossbred goats. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 13:1068-1075.
- Jones, G. B., 1965 Determination of the specific activity of labeled blood glucose by liquid scintillation using glucose pentaacetate. Anal. Biochem. 12:248-258. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(65)90088-6
- Steel, R. G. D. and J. H. Torrie, 1986. Principles and Procedures of Statistics. McGraw Hill Book Company, Singapore.
- Manik, I. G. and D. Sastradipradja. 1989. Effect of heat-moisture treated cassava in urea containing feed supplement on carbohydrate, protein and energy metabolism of goats. In:Energy Metabolism of Farm Animals (Ed. Y v.d. Honing and W. H. Close). EAAP Publication No.43, Pudoc Wageningen, Netherlands. pp. 73-76.
- Sastradipradja, D., A. Hawariah Lope Pihie and H. Permadi, 1976. Effect of cortisol on gluconeogenesis in goats. In: Nuclear Techniques in Animal Production and Health. IAEA, Vienna, pp. 579-585.
- Brockman, R. P. 1993. Glucose and short-chain fatty acid metabolism. In: Quantitative Aspects of Ruminant Digestion and Metabolism (Ed. J. M. Forbes and J. France). C.A.B. International, Wallingford, Oxon UK. pp. 249-265.
- Boekholdt, H. A. 1976. De stikstofhuishouding van het melkrund en de betekenis van de gluconeogenese uit aminozuren. PhD dissertation, Wageningen Universiteit: Landbouw Hogeschool. 207pp.
- Sastradipradja, D., N. G. F. Katipana, D. A. Astuti, D. R. Ekastuti and H. Maheshwari. 1991. The effect of concentrate supplementation on glucose, energy and protein metabolism of single and twin pregnant ewes. In: Energy Metabolism of Farm Animals (Ed. C. Wenk and M. Boessinger). EAAP Publication No.58, ETH-Zurich. pp.276-279.
- Chaiyabutr, N., S. Komolvanich, S. Preuksagorn and S. Chanpongsan. 2000. Comparative studies on the utilization of glucose in the mammary gland of crossbred Holstein cattle feeding on different types of roughage during different stages of lactation. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 13:334-347.
- Devendra, C. 1993. Goats and sheep in Asia. In: Small Ruminant Production in the Humid Tropics (Ed. M. Wodzicka-Tomaszewska, A. Djajanegara, S. Gardiner, T. R. Wiradarya and I. M. Mastika). Sebelas Maret Univ. Press, Surakarta, Indonesia. pp 1-33.
- Sukarini, I. A. M., D. Sastradipradja, N. Nusada, I. G. Mahardika and B. Kiranadi. 2001. Mammary performance of first lactation Bali cows (Bibos banteng) fed grass-Iegume based diets in relation to the role of glucose. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:615-623.
- Sastradipradja, D., 1992. Tracer techniques for measuring energy expenditure and related metabolic parameters. In: Proceedings of the Fifth Asia and Oceania Congress of Nuclear Medicine and Biology, Indonesian Society Nucl. Med. & National Atomic En. Agency, Jakarta, pp. 451- 457.
- Ballard, F. I., R. W. Hanson and D. S. Kronfeld. 1969. Gluconeogenesis and lipogenesis in tissue from ruminant and non-ruminant animals. Fed. Proc. 28:218-231.
- Mepham, T. B., 1993. The development of ideas on the role of glucose in regulating milk secretion. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 44:509-522. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR9930509
- Kiranadi, B., D. Sastradipradja, D. A Astuti and H. Permadi. 1994. The effect of king grass silage with chicken manure on the metabolism and glucose production rate of lactating goats. In:Energy Metabolism of Farm Animals (Ed. I. F. Aguilera), EAAP Publication No.76, CSIC Publishing Service, Granada-Spain, pp. 71-74.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Inter University Center