- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Feeding Urea and Soybean Meal-Treated Rice Straw on Digestibility of Feed Nutrients and Growth Performance of Bull Calves
- Ahmed, S. (Department of Animal Nutrition, Bangladesh Agricultural University) ;
- Khan, M.J. (Department of Animal Nutrition, Bangladesh Agricultural University) ;
- Shahjalal, M. (Department of Animal Nutrition, Bangladesh Agricultural University) ;
- Islam, K.M.S. (Department of Animal Nutrition, Bangladesh Agricultural University)
- Received : 2001.08.21
- Accepted : 2001.11.27
- Published : 2002.04.01
The experiment was conducted for a period of 56 days with twelve Bangladeshi bull calves of average body weight of
Urea;Urease;Bull Calves;Nutritive Value
- Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh. AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virginia.
- Dias, A. A., M. A. Ferrenia and Cristinr V. N. Gwedes. 1988. Effect of moisture level, treatment time and soybean addition on the nutritive value of urea treated maize stover. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 19:67-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(88)90055-7
- FAO. 1990. Production year book. Food and Agricultural Organization of United Nations. FAO Statistics Series, Rome, Italy, Vol. 52. p. 64.
- Ibrahim, M. N. M., A. M. U. Wajerame and M. J. I. Costa. 1985. Effect of different sources of urease on the treatment time and digestibility of urea-ammonia treated rice straw. Agric. Wastes. 13:197-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-4607(85)90034-4
- Joy, M., F. Munoz, X. Alibes. and J. D. Andueza. 1996. Effect of moisture content and addition of ureases on the effectiveness of urea treatment. ITEA-Prod. Anim. 1996, 92A:1, 11-20, 34.
- Tareque, A. M. M. and M. Saadullah. 1988. Feed availability requirements and current pattern of utilization in Bangladesh. In: Proceeding on Non Conventional Feed Resources and Fibrous Agricultural Residues (Ed. C. Devendra). Hisar, India. pp. 116-130.
- Tiwari, S. P., U. B. Singh and U. R. Mehra. 1988. Urea mineral molasses block as feed supplement on digestibility and growth in buffalo calves. In: Abstract of Symposium on Latest Research Trends, in Livestock and Poultry. 53:31.
- Wanapat, M. 1983. Improving the rice straw quality as ruminant feed by urea treatment in Thailand (Ed. M. Wanapat and C. Devendra). In: Proceedings of the International Conference on the Relevance of Crop Residues as Animal Feed in Developing Countries. Khon Kaen University, Khon Khaen, Thailand, Funny Press, Bangkok. pp. 147-175.
- Wanapat, M. 1990. Review on buffalo feeding trial in Thailand. In:Nutritional Aspects of Ruminant Production in South-East Asia with special reference to Thailand (Ed. M. Wanapat). Thailand. p. 30.
- Khan, M. J., J. R. Scaife and F. D. Hovell. 1999. The effect of different sources of urease enzyme on the nutritive value of wheat straw treated with urea as a source of ammonia. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 12:1063-1069. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1999.1063
- ARC. 1990. The Nutrient Requirements of Ruminant Livestock. 4th edn. CAB International, Wallingford, pp. 73-310.
- Jayasuriya, M. C. N. and H. G. D. Prera. 1981. Urea-ammonia treatment of rice straw to improve the nutritive value for ruminants. Agricultural Wastes. (In press).
- Jayasuriya, M. C. N. and G. R. Pearce. 1983. The effect of urease enzyme on treatment time and the nutritive value of straw treated with ammonia as urea. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 6:123-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(81)90043-2
- Silva, A. T. and E. R. Orskov. 1988. The effect of five different supplements on the degradation of straw in sheep given untreated barley straw. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 19:289-298. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(88)90091-0
- Singh, G. P. and S. J. Oosting. 1991. Nutritive value of straw. In:Proceedings of International Workshop, National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI), Karnal, Haryana, India.
- Hossain, S. A. and M. S. Rahman. 1981. Comparative feeding value of urea treated and untreated paddy straw. In:Proceedings of the second annual seminar on Maximum Livestock Production from Minimum Land. Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh. pp. 225-233.
- Sharma, D. D. and K. K. Singh. 1988. Processing of complete feeds for ruminants. In: Proceding of National Seminar cum Workshop and Exhibition on Dairy products and Equipments. IDA, Delhi, India.
- Djajanegara, A. and P. T. Doyle. 1989. Urea supplementation compared with pretreatment: I. Effects on intake, digestion and live-weight change by sheep fed a rice straw. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 27-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(89)90126-0
- Goto, M. 1995. Ammoniation of barley straw; effect on anatomical and physiochemical characteristics of the cell walls. Ann. Zootech. 44, 70. https://doi.org/10.1051/animres:19950540
- Kiangi, E. M. I., J. A. Kategible and F. Sundstol. 1981. Different sources of ammonia for improving the nutritive value of low quality roughages. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 6:377-386. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(81)90016-X
- Walli, K. T., K. T. Sampath, S. N. Rai. and S. Tamminga. 1993. Feeding of ruminants on fibrous crop residues (Ed. Singh K. and J. Schiere). In: Proceedings Int. Workshop held at the NDRI on the Aspect of treatment, feeding, nutrient evaluation, research and extension. Haryana, India. Feb. 4-8. 1991. pp.157-168.
- Males, J. R. 1987. Optimizing the utilization of cereal crop residues for beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 65:1124-1130. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1987.6541124x
- Aminullah, M. 1996. Improving the Nutritive Value of Cereal Straw by Treatment With Urea and Urease Containing Plant Extract. M. Sc. Thesis. Dept. of Animal Nutrition. Bangladesh
- Saadullah, M., M. Haque. and F. Dolberg. 1981b. Treated and untreated rice straw to growing cattle. In: Proceedings of the Second Annual Seminar on Maximum Livestock Production from Minimum Land. Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh. pp. 136. 155.
- Sarwar, M., M. A. Iqbal, C. S. Ali and K. Tanweer. 1994. Growth performance of buffalo male calves as affected by using cowpea and soybean seeds as a source of urease during ureatreated wheat straw ensiling process. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 32:23-28.
- Leng, R. A. 1984. Supplementation of tropical and subtropical pasture for ruminant production. In: Herbivore Nutrition in Subtropics and Tropics (Ed. F. C. M. Gilchrist and R. I. Mackie). The Science Press, Graghall, South Africa. pp. 129-144.
- Effects of replacing fish meal with soy cake in a diet based on urea-treated rice straw on performance of growing Laisind beef cattle vol.45, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-012-0304-0