- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Effect of Extrusion Processing and Steam Pelleting Diets on Pellet Durability, Water Absorption and Physical Response of Macrobrachium rosenbergii
Misra, Chandra Kanta;Sahu, N.P.;Jain, K.K.
- Received : 2002.01.22
- Accepted : 2002.05.11
- Published : 2002.09.01
Two hundred and ten post-larvae (PL) of Macrobrachium rosenbergii (14.5-14.9 mg) were equally distributed in two experimental groups and fed with either steam cooked or extruded pellet for a period of 60 days. Physical evaluation and growth promoting effect of both the pellets were assessed. Significantly higher (p<0.05) water stability, absorption and protein efficiency ratio (PER) were recorded in extruded pellet than the steam cooked pellet. Nutrient loss was minimum in the extruded pellet for which lower feed conversion ratio (FCR) (p<0.05) was recorded in this group. However, weight gain, relative growth and specific growth rate (SGR) in both the groups were not significantly different (p>0.05). Although insignificant (p>0.05) but higher amylase activity was recorded in steam pellet fed group. Survival was not affected by feeding either of the diets.
Extruded Pellet;Growth;Macrobrachium Rosenbergii;Physical Quality;Post-Larvae;Steam Pellet
- Bligh, E. G. and W. G. Dyer. 1959. A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification.Can. J. Biochem. 37:911-917. https://doi.org/10.1139/o59-099
- Cappell, B. V. 1984. The effects of extrusion and pelleting of feed for trout on the digestibility of protein, ammoniac's and energy and on feed conversion. Aquaculture Engineering, 3:71-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/0144-8609(84)90030-X
- Lowry, O. H., F. A. L. Rosebrough and R. J. Randall, 1951. Protein assay for dilute solution. J. Bio-chem., 193:265.
- Naik, S. D., N. P. Sahu and K. K. Jain. 2001. Use of Squilla (Orato squilla nepa), Squid (Sepia pharonis) and Clam (Katelysia opima) meal alone or in combination as substitute for fish meal in the post larval diet of M. rosenbergii. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci., 14 (9): 1272-1275. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2001.1272
- Oliveira, M. A., S. Moller-Holst, H. Haaland and G. Rosenlund, 1992. The effects of process parameters on expansion of extruded fish feeds. In: Food Extrusion Science and Technology. (Ed. J. L. Kokini, C. T. Ho and M. V. Karwe). Marcel Dekker, Inc. pp. 669-676.
- Snedecor, G. W. and G. Cochran. 1967. Statistical Methods. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co., New Delhi, p. 593.
- Hilton, J. W., C. Y. Cho and S. J. Slinger. 1981. Effect of extrusion processing and steam pelleting diets on pellet durability, pellet water absorption, and the physiological response of rainbow trout (Salmo gairdneri R.). Aquaculture, 25:185-194. https://doi.org/10.1016/0044-8486(81)90180-0
- Banerjee, S. and P. Chakrabarty. 1997. Production of extruded prawn feed. Ind. J. Fish. 44(2):181-189.
- Riaz, M. N. 1997. Aquafeeds to optimize water quality, which process is preferable-pelleting or extrusion?. Feed International, March: 22-28.
- AOAC. 1980. Official Methods of Analysis of the Official analytical Chemists. Association of Official analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, 11th edition, p. 1015.
- Slinger, S. J., A. Razzaque and C. Y. Cho. 1979. Effect of feed processing and leaching on the losses of certain vitamins in fish diets. In: Finfish Nutrition and Fishfeed Technology (Ed. J. E. Halver and K. Tiews). Proceedings of a World Symposium sponsored and supported by EIFAC (FAO), ICES, IUNS, Hamburg, 20-23 June, 1978, Vol.II, Heenemann Verlagsgesellschaft, Berlin.
- APHA, 1992. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater. AWWA, WPCF, 18th edition, Washington, DC, USA, 4-80 and pp. 4-90.
- Kim, S. Y., K. S. Kim and Y. C. Yoo. 1992. The effect of extruded pellet feed in net cage aquaculture on water quality of lake. Bull. Natl. Fish. Res. Dev. Agency, Korea, 46:21-29.
- Mgbenka, B. O. and R. T. Lovell. 1984. Feeding combinations of extruded and pelleted diets to channel catfish in ponds. Prog. Fish Cult., 46(4):245-248. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8640(1984)46<245:FCOEAP>2.0.CO;2
- Obaldo, L. G., W. G. Dominy and G. H. Ryu. 2000. Extrusion processing and its effect on aquaculture diet quality and shrimp growth. J. Appl. Aquacult., 10(2):41-53. https://doi.org/10.1300/J028v10n02_04
- Pongmaneerat, J. and T. Watanabe. 1993. Effect of extrusion processing on utilisation of soybean meal diets for rainbow trout. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi, 59(8):1407-1414. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.59.1407
- Botting, C. C. 1991. Extrusion technology in aquaculture feed processing. pp. 129-137. In: Proceedings of the Aquaculture Feed Processing and Nutrition Workshop (Ed. D. M. Akiyama and R. K. H. Tan). Thailand and Indonesia, Sept.19-25, Singapore American Soybean Association.
- Takeshi, W., H. Sakamoto, M. Abiru and J. Yamashita. 1991. Development of a new type of dry pellet for yellowtail. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi, 57(5):891-897. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.57.891
- Robinette, H. R. 1977. Feed manufacture. pp. 84-96. In: Nutrition and Feeding of Channel Catfish. (Ed. R. R. Stickney and R. T. Lovell). South.Coop.Ser.Bull., 36.
- Meyers, S. P. and D. P. Butler. 1972. Alginates as binders for crustacean rations. Prog. Fish Cult., 34:9-12. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8640(1972)34[9:AABFCR]2.0.CO;2
- Plummer, D. T. 1988. An Introduction to Practical Bio-Chemistry. 3rd ed. Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Ltd, New Delhi.
- Stickney, R. R. 1979. Feeds, nutrition and growth. In: Principles of warmwater aquaculture. John Wiley, Toronto, Ont. pp. 198-202.
- Somogyi, M. 1945. A new reagent for the determination of reducing sugars. J. Biol. Chem. 160:69-70.
- L.) growth in semi-intensive monoculture ponds vol.46, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1111/are.12230
- Effects of supplementary feeding in carp ponds on discharge water quality: a review vol.22, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10499-013-9718-6
- L.) organs as a marker of general fish health state in pond culture vol.47, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/are.12795
- Fish meal replacement with squilla (Oratosquilla nepa, Latreille) silage in a practical diet for the juvenile giant freshwater prawn, Macrobrachium rosenbergii de man, 1879 vol.26, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10499-018-0280-0
- Effects of feed processing method (extrusion and expansion-compression pelleting) on water quality and growth of rainbow trout in a commercial setting vol.30, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/10454438.2018.1433095
Supported by : Indian Council of Agricultural Research