- Volume 26 Issue 8
A channel flow with a high Reynolds number but coarse grids is numerically studied to investigate the prediction possibility of its turbulence which is three-dimensional and time-dependent. In the present paper, a Reynolds-Averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS) model, a Large Eddy Simulation (LES) and a Navier-Stokes equation with no model are tested with a new approach of hybrid RANS/LES, which reduces to RANS model in the boundary layers and at separation, and to Smagorinsky-like LES downstream of separation, and then compared with each other. It is found that the simulations of hybrid RANS/LES method sustain turbulence like those of LES and with no model, and the results are stable and fairly accurate. This indicates strongly that gradual improvements could lead to a simple, stable, and accurate approach to predict turbulence phenomena of wall-bounded flow.
- Spalart, P. R., 1999, 'Strategies for Turbulence Modelling and Simulations,' Fourth Int. Symp. on Engineering Turbulence Modelling and Experiments, Corsica, edited by W. Rodi and D. Laurence (Elsevier, New York, 1999)
- Germano, M., Piomelli, U., Moin, P. and Cabot, W. H., 1991, 'A Dynamic Subgrid-Scale Eddy Viscosity Model,' Phys. of Fluids, A3(7), pp.1760-1765
- Choi, H., Moin, P. and Kim, J., 1992, 'Turbulent Drag Reduction: Studies of Feedback Control and Flow over Riblets,' Report No. TF-55, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Stanford Uniiversity, Stanford, CA.
- Spalart, P. R. and Allmaras, S. R., 1994, 'A One-Equation Turbulence Model for Aerodynamic Flows,' La Recherche Aerospatiale 1, 5.
- Spalart, P. R., 2000, Private Communications
- Nikitin, N. V., Nicoud, F., Wasistho, B., Squires, K. D. and Spalart, P. R., 2000, 'An Approach to Wall Modeling in Large-Eddy Simulations,' Phys. of Fluids, A12(7), pp.1629-1632 https://doi.org/10.1063/1.870414
- Shur, M., Spalart, P. R., Strelets, M. and Travin, A., 1999, 'Detached-Eddy Simulation of an Airfoil at High Angle of Attack,' Fourth Int. Symp. on Engineering Turbulence Modelling and Experiments, Corsica, edited by W. Rodi and D. Laurence (Elsevier, New York, 1999)
- Spalart, P. R, Jou, W.-H., Strelets, M. and Allmaras, S. R., 1997, 'Comments on the Feasibility of LES for Wings, and on a Hybrid RANS/LES Approach,' First AFOSR Int. Conf. on DNS/LES, Ruston, LA, in Advances in DNS/LES, edited by C. Liu and Z. Liu (Greyden, Columbus, OH, 1997)