- Volume 9 Issue 2
In order to exploit as a new functional decocted beverage, chemical components, antioxidative and antimicrobial activities young stems of mulberry(Morus alba) were surveyed. The proximate composition was composed of crude fiber 51.12%, ash 13.46%, total sugar 10.38%, crude fat 9.10% and crude protein 5.01%. The P(295.9 mg%) was the highest mineral found in young stem of mulberry and Ca 289.6 mg%, K 209.6 mg%, Na 58.3 mg%, Mg 45.0 mg% and Fe 4.6 mg% in that order. Free sugars was composed of glucose 1.08%, galactose 022%, sucrose 0.20% and fructose 0.16%. Eight fatty acids in stem of mulberry were identified and the major fatty acids were linoleic acid(46.10%), palmitic acid(27.84%) and linolenic acid(10.85%). Among the 17 amino acids detected, total amino acid was 2,450.5 mg% and proline(313.7 mg%) was the most predominant. Methanol extract and ethyl acetate fraction showed stronger activity of the hydrogen donating activities, each of 77.24% and 80.08%, respectively. The methanol extract from young stem of mulberry showed the strongest antimicrobial activities to Bacillus subtitis and Bacitus cereus. Chloroform and ethyl acetate fractions from methanol extract of young stem showed a inhibition zone of 9.0∼19.0 ㎜ in diameter against pathogen bacteria.
- Cha, J.Y., Kim, H.J. and Cho, Y.S. (2000) Effects of water-soluble extract from leaves of Morus alba and Cudrania tricuspidata on the lipid peroxidation in Tissues of rats. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr., 29, 531-536
- Choi, J.H., Jang, J.G., Park, K.D., Park, M.H. and Oh, S.K. (1981) High performance liquid chromatographic determination of free sugars in ginseng and its products. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol., 13(2), 107-113
- Metcalf, L.D., Schmits, A.A. and Pelka, J.R. (1966) Rapid preparation of fatty acid esters from lipids for gas chromatographic analysis. Anal. Chem., 38, 514-515 https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60235a044
- Farag, R. S., Z. Y. Daw, F. N. Hewei, and G. S. A. El-Baroty. (1989) Antimicrobial activity of some Egytion spice essential oils. J. Food Prot., 52, 665-671 https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-52.9.665
- Kim, S.Y., Lee, W.C., Kim, H.B., Kim, A.J. and Kim, S.K. (1998) Antihyperlipidemic effects of methanol extracts from Mulberry leaves in cholesterol-induced hyperlipidemia rats. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nurt., 27, 1217-1222.
- Cha, J.Y., Kim, H.J., Jun, B.S. and Cho, Y.S. (2000) Effect of water-soluble extract from leaves of Morus alba and Cudrania tricuspidata on the lipid concentrations of serum and liver in rats. J. Korean Soc. Agric. Chem. Biotechnol., 43, 303-308
- Chen, F., Nakashima, N., Kimura, I. and Kimura, M. (1995) Hypoglycemic activity and mechanisms of extracts from mulberry leaves(Folium mori) and cortex mori radicis in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice. Akugaku Zasshi, 15, 476-482
- Kim, H.J., Cha, J.Y., Choi, M.L. and Cho, Y.S. (2000) Antioxidative Activities by water-soluble extracts of Morus alba and Cudrania tricuspidata. J. Korean Soc. Agric. Chem. Biotechnol., 43, 148-152
- Ahn, B. and Yang, C.B. (1991) Chemical composition of Bangah(Agastache rugosa O. Kuntze) herb. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol., 23, 375-378
- 배기환. (2000) 한국의 약용식물. 교학사, p. 73
- Blois, M.S. (1958) Antioxidant determination by the use of a stable free radical. Nature, 25, 1199-1120
- Cho, Y.S., Bae, Y.I. and Shim, K.H. (1999) Chemical components in different parts of korean sword bean (Canavalia gladiata). Korean J. Postharvest Sci. Technol., 6, 475-480
- Lee, J.S., Choi, M.H. and Jung, S.H. (1995) Blood glucose-lowering effects of Mori Folium. Yakhak Hoeji, 39, 367-372
- 김창민, 신민교, 안덕균, 이경준. (1998) 중약대사전. 도서출판 정담, p. 2824
- Cho, Y.S. and Shim, K.H. (1999) Antimicrobial activities in different parts of korean sword bean(Canavalia gladiata) extracts. J. Inst. Agri. & Fishery Develop. Gyeongsang Nat'l. Univ., 18, 13-23
- Cha, J.Y. and Cho, Y.S. (2001) Effect of stem bark extract from Morus alba and Cudrania tricuspidata on the concentrations of lipid and tissue lipid peroxidation in the cholesterol-fed rats. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol., 33, 128-134
- Basnet, P., Kodota, S., Terashima, S., Shimizu., M. and Namba, T. (1993) Two new 2-arylbenzofuran derivatives from hypoglycemic activity-bearing fractions of Morus insignis. Chem. Pharm. Bull, 41, 1238-1243 https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.41.1238
- A.O.A.C. (1990) Official Methods of Analysis. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington, D.C.
- Asano, N., Tomioka, E., Kizu, H. and Matsui, K. (1994) Sugars with nitrogen in the ring isolated from the Morus bombysis. Carbohydr. Res, 253, 235-245 https://doi.org/10.1016/0008-6215(94)80068-5
- Hiroshi, I., Hiroko, S., Noriko, S., Satoshi, I., Tadahiro, T. and Akio, M. (2000) Nutritive evaluation on chemical components of leaves, stalks and stems of sweet potatos(Ipomoea batatas poir). Food Chemistry, 68, 359-367 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(99)00206-X