- Volume 31 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effects of Low Level of Levan Feeding on Serum Lipids, Adiposity and UCP Expression in Rats
저농도 레반 공급이 혈중 지질 및 체지방 형성과 UCP 발현에 미치는 영향
- 강순아 (경희대학교 동서의학대학원 임상영양전공) ;
- 홍경희 (경희대학교 동서의학대학원 임상영양전공) ;
- 장기효 (경희대학교 동서의학대학원 임상영양전공) ;
- 김소혜 (경희대학교 동서의학대학원 임상영양전공) ;
- 조여원 (경희대학교 임상영양연구소)
- Published : 2002.10.01
This study described the effect of levan (9-2,6-linked fructose polymer) feeding on serum lipids, adiposity and uncoupling protein (UCP) expression in growing rats. Levan was synthesized from sucrose using bacterial levansucrase. UCP is a mitochondrial protein that uncouples the respiratory chain from oxidative Phosphorylation and generates heat instead of ATP, thereby increase energy expenditure. We observed that 3% or 5% levan containing diet reduced serum triglyceride levels, visceral and peritoneal fat mass and induced the UCP expression in rats fed high fat diet in previous study. To determine whether the intake of low level of levan may have the hypolipidemic and anti-obesity effect, 4 wk old Sprague Dawley male rats were fed AIN-76A diet for 6 wk, and sub-sequently fed 1% or 2% levan solution for further 5 wk. Intake of 1% levan in liquid form reduced serum triglyceride and serum total cholesterol levels to 50% and 66% of control group, respectively. Although epididymal and peritoneal fat masses were not affected by levan feeding, visceral fat mass was lower in 1% levan group compared to control group. The expression of UCP2 mRNA in brown adipose tissue, skeletal muscle and hypothalamus and UCP3 mRNA in skeletal muscle were not changed by levan feeding, while the UCP2 mRNA in white adipose tissue was up-regulated by levan feeding. In conclusions, intake of low level of levan solution reduced serum triglyceride and total cholesterol, restrained the visceral fat accumulation and increased UCP expression in white adipose tissue in rats. This study suggests that hypolipidemic and anti-obesity effect of levan attributed to anti-lipogenesis and inefficeint energy utilization by up-regulation of UCPs.
- Roverfroid MB, Delzenne NM. 1998. Dietary fructans. Annu Rev Nutr 18:117-143. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.nutr.18.1.117
- Delzenne NM, Kok NN. 1999. Biochemical basis of oligofructose-induced hypolipidemia in animal models. J Nutr 129 (7 suppl): 1467s-1470s.
- Rhee SK, Song KB, Kim CH, Park BS, Jang EK, Jang KH. 2002. Levan. In Biopolymers. Vandamme E, Baets S, Steinbuchel A, eds. Wiley-VCH Verlag Gmbh, Germany. Vol 5, p 351-377.
- Loo JV, Coussement P, Leenheer LD, Hoebregs H, Smits G. 1995. On the presence of inulin and oligofrucsoe as natural in the western diet. Crit Rev in Food Scid and Nutr 35: 525-552. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408399509527714
- Mortensen A, Poulsen M, Frandsen H. 2002. Effect of a longchain fructan Raftline HP on blood lipids and spontaneous atherosclerosis in low density receptor knockout mice. Nutr Res 22: 473-480. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(02)00358-5
- Flordallso M, Kok N, Desager JP, Goethals F, Deboyser D, Roberfroid M, Delzenne N. 1995. Dietary oligofructose lowers triglycerides, phopholipids and cholesterol in serum and very low density lipoproteins of rats. Lipids 30: 163-167. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02538270
- Daubioul CA, Taper HS, Wispelaere LD, Delzenne NM. 2000. Dietary oligo-fructose lessens hepatic steatosis, but does not prevent hypertriglyceridemia in obese Zucker rats. J Nutr 130: 1314-1319.
- Delzenne N, Ferre P, Beylot M, Daubioul C, Declercq B, Diraison F, Dugali I, Foufelle F, Foretz M, Mace K, Reimer R, Plamer G, Rutter G, Tavara J, Van Loo J, Vidal H. 2001. Study of the regulation by nutrients of the expression genes involved in liogenesis and obesity in humans and animals. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 11 (4 Suppl): 118s-121s.
- Hoeger WW, Harris C, Long EM, Hopking DR. 1998. Four week supplementation with a natural dietary compound produces favorable changes in body composition. Adv Ther 15: 305-314.
- Han YW. 1990. Microbial levan. Adv Appl Microbiol 35: 171-194. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-2164(08)70244-2
- Kasapis S, Morris ER, Gross M, Rudolph K. 1994. Solution properties of levan polysaccaride from Pseudomonas syringae pv. phaseolicola, and its possible primary role as a blocker of recognition during pathogenesis. Carbohydr Polym 23: 55-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/0144-8617(94)90090-6
- Kang SA, Hong KH, Kim SH, Jang KH, Kim CH, Choue RW. 2002. Effects of fructose-polymer on serum leptin and UCP expression in obese rats induced by high fat diet. FASEB J. A 1013.
- Havel PJ. 2000. Role of adipose tissue in body-weight regulation: mechanisms regulating leptin production and energy balance. Proc Nutr Soc 59: 359-371. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0029665100000410
- Keith DG, Martin J, Pet J. 1998. The mechanism of proton transport mediated by mitochondrial uncoupling proteins. FEBS Lett 438: 10-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-5793(98)01246-0
- Rippe C, Berger K, Boeirs C, Ricquier D, Erlanson AC. 2000. Effect of high-fat diet, surrounding temperature, and enterostatin on uncoupling protein gene expression. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 279: E293-E300.
- Matsuda J, Hosoda K, Itoh H, Son C, Doi K, Tanaka T, Fukunaga T, Inoue G, Nishimura H, Yoshimass Yl, Yamori Y, Nakao K. 1997. Cloning of rat uncoupling protein-3 and uncoupling protein-2 cDNAs: their gene expression in rats fed a high fat diet. FEBS Lett 418: 200-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-5793(97)01381-1
- Boss O, Samec S, Giacobino AP, Rossier C, Dulloo A, Seydoux J, Muzzin P, Giacobino JP. 1997. Uncoupling protein-3: a new member of the mitochondrial carrier family with tissuespecific expression. FEBS Lett 408: 39-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-5793(97)00384-0
Javier M, Amelia MJ, Alfredo M. 2001. Changes in UCP
mRNA expression levels in brown adipose tissue and skeletal
muscle after feeding a high-energy diet and relationships
with leptin, glucose and PPAR
$\gamma$. J Nutr Biochem 12: 130-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-2863(00)00131-5
- Kok N, Roverfroid M, Delzenne N. 1996. Dietary oligofructose modifies the impact of fructose on hepatic triacylglycerol metabolism. Metabolism 45: 1547-1550. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0026-0495(96)90186-9
- Causey JL, Feirgat JM, Gallaher DD, Tungland BC, Slavin JL. 2000. Effects of dietary inulin on serum lipids, blood glucose and the gastrointestinal environment in hypercholesterolemic men. Nutr Res 20: 191-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(99)00152-9
- Jackson KG, Taylor GR, Clohessy AM, Willians CM. 1999. The effect of the daily intake of inulin on fasting lipid, insulin and glucose concentration in middle-aged men and women. Br J Nutr 82: 23-30. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114599001087
- Han LK, Xu BJ, Kimura Y, Zheng Y, Okuda H. 2000. Platycodi radix affects lipid metabolism in mice with high fat diet-induced obesity. J Nutr 130: 2760-2764.
- Davidson MH, Maki KC. 1999. Effects of dietary inulin on serum lipids. J Nutr 129 (suppl): 1474S-1477S.
- Yamamoto Y, Takahashi Y, Kawano M, Iizuka M, Matsumoto T, Saeki S, Yamaguchi H. 1999. In vitro digestibility and fermentability of levan and its hypocholesterolemic effects in rats. J Nutr Biochem 10: 13-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-2863(98)00077-1
- Kok NN, Taper HS, Delzenne NM. 1998. Oligofructose modulates lipid metabolism alterations induced-by a fat- rich in rats. J Appl Tosicol 18: 47-53. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1263(199801/02)18:1<47::AID-JAT474>3.0.CO;2-S
- Abate N. 1996. Insulin resistance and obesity: the role of fat distribution. Diabetes Care 19: 292-294.
- Considine RV, Sinha MK, Heiman ML, Kriauciunas A, Stephens TW, Nyce MR, Ohannesian JP, Marco CC, Mckee LJ, Bauer TL, Caro JF. 1996. Serum immunoreactive-leptin concentrations in normal-weight and obese humans. New Eng J Med 334: 292-295. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199602013340503
- Oberkofler H, Dallinger G, Liu YM, Hell E, Krempler F, Patsch W. 1997. Uncoupling protein gene: quantification of expression levels in adipose tissues of obese and non-obese humans. J Lipid Res 38: 2125-2133.
- Hong KH, Kang SA, Kim SH, Choue RW. 2001. Effects of high fat diet on serum leptin and insulin level and brown adipose tissue UCP 1 expression in rats. Korean J Nutrition 34: 865-871.
- Boss O, Samec S, Khune F, Bijlenga P, Assimacopoulos-Jeannet F, Seydoux J, Giacobino JP, Muzzin P. 1998. Uncoupling protein 3 expression in rodent skeletal muscle is modulated by food intake but not by changes in environmental temperature. J Bio Chem 273: 5-8. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.273.1.5
- Oi Y, Kawada T, Shishido C, Wada K, Kominato Y, Nishimura S, Ariga T, Iwai K. 1999. Allyl-containing sulfide in garlic increase uncoupling protein content in brown adipose tissue, and noradrenaline and adrenaline secretion in rats. J Nutr 129: 336-342.
- Cha SH, Fukushima A, Sakuma K, Kagawa Y. 2001. Chronic docosahexaenoic acid intake enhances expression of the gene for uncoupling protein 3 and affects pleiotropic mRNA levels in skeletal muscle in aged C57BL/ 6NJcl mice. J Nutr 131: 2636-2642.
- Himms-Hagen J, Ricquier D. 1997. Brown adipose tissue. In Hand Book of Obesity. Bray GA, Brouchard C, James WPT, eds. Marcel Dekker, New York. p 415-442.
- Cholesterol Improvement Effects of Fermented Defatted Soybean Grits Added to Corchorus olitorius vol.43, pp.3, 2011, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2011.43.3.375
- Cholesterol Improvement Synergistic Effects of Fermented Soybean Grits Caused by Added with Mung Bean in vitro vol.39, pp.7, 2010, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.7.947