- Volume 14 Issue 6
Recently, the use of high strength concrete (HSC) has increased dramatically md however, few studies have been conducted on the early-age properties of HSC such as setting. The penetration resistance test (specified by KS F 2436) that is the standard test method for determining initial and final setting times of concrete, may not be appropriate for HSC because of the high viscosity of the mortar mixture. To address this issue, an ultrasonic pulse velocity (UPV) monitoring system was used to investigate the setting behavior of mortar and concrete. The experimental study was carried out to measure the UPV's of mortars and concretes having various water/binder ratios (W/B) and various fly ash replacement levels, during the first 24 hours of testing. Test results showed that the UPV in concrete was developed faster than that of mortar with the same W/B, and that of ordinary concrete was greater than that of fly ash concrete. Typical values of UPV were suggested that correspond to the initial and final setting times, based on following criteria: (1) the penetration resistance method; (2) the instant when the UPV begins to develop; and (3) the instant when the UPV development rate is maximum. The method and UPV monitoring device used in this study is promising for the setting assessment of concrete, particularly for HSC.
- Mehta. P. K. and Monteiro, P. J. M, "Concrete: Structure, Properties, and Materials," 2nd edition, Prentice Hall, New York, 1993.
- Kakuta, S. and Kojima, T., "Evaluation of Very Early Age Concrete Using a Wave Propagation Method," Quality Control of Concrete Structures, Ed. Taerwe, L. and Lambotte, H., E&FN Spon, Ghent, Belgium, 1991, pp.163-172.
- Chotard, T., Gimet-Brert, N., and Smith, A, Fargeto, D., 10. Bonnet, J. P., and Gault, C., "Application of Ultrasonic Testing to Describe the Hydration of Calcium Aluminate Cement at the Early Age," Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 30, 2001, pp.405-412. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(00)00446-4
- 윤석수, 권성덕, "초음파 속도 측정에 의한 콘크리트 응결시간 결정에 관한 연구," 한국물리학회지, 제7권 3호, 1994, pp.209-214.
- 이회근, 이광명, 김영환, 임현준, "초음파 속도를 이용한 콘크리트의 응결 및 초기 강도 추정," 한국비파괴검사학회지, 제22권 3호, 2002, pp.292-303.
- Garnier, V., Corneloup, G., Sprauel, J. M., and Perfumo, J. C., "Setting Time Study of Roller Compacted Concrete by Spectral Analysis of Transmitted Ultrasonic Signals," NDT&E International, Vol. 28, No.1, 1995, pp.15-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/0963-8695(94)00006-6
- 구본창, 강민호, 이대근, 김종우, 하재담, 박석균, "초음파법에 의한 콘크리트 응결시간 측정에 관한 연구," 콘크리트학회 봄 학술발표회, 1998, pp.707-711.
- Boumiz, A, Vernet, C, and Cohen Tenoudji, F., "Mechanical Properties of Cement Pastes and Mortars at Early Ages," Advanced Cement Based Materials. Vol. 3, 1996, pp.94-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1065-7355(96)90042-5
- 이회근, 이광명, "초음파 속도 모니터링에 의한 모르타르의 초기 재령 특성 평가," 콘크리트학회 가을 학술발표회, 제13권 2호, 2001, pp.245-250.
- Popovics, S., Silva-Rodrigez, R., Popovics, J. S., and Martucci. V., "Behavior of Ultrasonic Pulses in Fresh Concrete, " New Experimental Techniques for Evaluating Concrete Materials and Structural Peiformance, SP-143, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, Mich. 1993, pp.220-225.
- Reinhardt, H. W., GroBe, C. U., and Herb, A. T., "Ultrasonic Monitoring of Setting and Hardening of Cement Mortar," Materials and Structures, Vol. 33, Nov., 2000, pp.580-583. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02480539
- Rapoport, J. R., Popovics, J. S., Kollum, S. V., and Shah, S. P., "Using Ultrasound to Monitor Stiffening Process of Concrete with Admixtures," ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 97, No. 6, 2000, pp.675-683.
- Pessiki, S. P. and Carino, N. J., "Setting Time and Strength of Concrete Using the Impact-Echo Method," ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 85, No. 5, 1988, pp.389-399.
- "관입 저항에 의한 콘크리트의 응결 시간 측정," KSF 2436.
- Valic, M. I., "Hydration of Cementitious Materials by Pulse Echo USWR Method, Apparatus and Application Examples," Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 30 ,2000, pp.1633-1640. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(00)00352-5
- Keating, J., Hannant, D. J., and Hibbert, A. P., "Comparison of Shear Modulus and Pulse Velocity Techniques to Measure the Built-up of Structure in Fresh Cement Pastes used in Oil Well Cementing," Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 19, No.4, 1989, pp.554-566 https://doi.org/10.1016/0008-8846(89)90007-0
- Setting Estimation of Cement Paste Using New-type Embedded Sensor vol.4, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14190/JRCR.2016.4.4.483