- Volume 14 Issue 6
The current ACI design code does not take into account the contribution of concrete for the torsional moment of reinforced concrete(RC) beams subjected to pure torsion. This code is not capable of evaluating the inter-effects between concrete and torsional reinforcement on the torsional resistance of the RC beams. Some test results indicated that the current ACI code was not successful in predicting the observed torsional moment of the RC beams with reasonable accuracy. The research reported in this paper provides an evaluation equation to predict the torsional moment of the RC beams subjected to pure torsion. The proposed equation is derived from the equilibrium as well as compatibility equations of the truss model for the cracked RC beams. Comparisons between the observed and calculated torsional moments of the 66 tested beams, showed reasonable agreement.
- Thomas T. C. Hsu, "Torsion of Structural Concrete-Behavior of Reinforced Concrete Rectangular Members," Torsion of Structural Concrete, SP-18, American Concrete Institute, Detroit, 1968, pp.261-306.
- A. Belarbi and Thomas T. C. Hsu, "Constitutive Laws of Softened Concrete in Biaxial Tensioncompression," ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 92, No.5, 1995, pp.562-573.
- Khaldoun N. Rahal and Michael P. Collins, "Simple Model for Predicting Torsional Strength of Reinforced and Prestressed Concrete Sections," ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 93, No. 6, Nov.-Dec 1996, pp.658-666.
- J. R. Robinson and J.M. Demorieux, "Essais de Traction-Compression Sur Models d'ame de Poutreen Beton Arme," IRABA Report, IRABA, June 1968, p.44.
- Frank J. Vecchio and Michael P. Collins, "The Modified Compression-Field Theory for Reinforced Concrete Elements Subjected to Shear," ACI Journal, Proceedings, Vol. 83, No. 2, Mar.-Apr. 1986, pp.219-231.
- Michael P. Collins and Denis Mitchell, Prestressed Concrete Structures, Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1991, p.347.
- Belarbi, A. and Thomas T. C. Hsu, "Constitutive Laws of Concrete in Tension and Reinforcing Bars Stiffened by Concrete," ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 91, No.4, July-Aug. 1994, pp.465-474.
- J. G. MacGregor and M. G. Ghoneim, "Design for Torsion," ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 92, No.2, Mar.-Apr. 1995, pp.211-218.
- ACI Committee 318, "Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete(318-99) and Commentary (318R-99)," American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, Mich., 1999, pp.149-155.
- Thomas T. C. Hsu, "Torsion of Structural Concrete Plane Concrete Rectangular Members," Torsion of Structural Concrete, SP-18, American Concrete Institute, Detroit, 1968, pp.203-238.
- Thomas T. C. Hsu, "Softened Truss Model Theory for Shear and Torsion," ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 85, No. 6, Nov.-Dec. 1988, pp.624-635.
- E. Rausch, "Design of Reiriforced Concrete in Torsion," PhD. thesis, Technische Hochschule, Berlin, 1928, 53 pp. (in German).
- Characteristics of Structural Behavior of Steel Fiber Reinforced Ultra High Performance Concrete Beams Subjected to Torsion vol.26, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2014.26.1.087