- Volume 14 Issue 6
It is important to consider the effect of member size when estimating the ultimate strength of a concrete flexural member because the strength always decreases with an increase of member size. In this study, the size effect of a reinforced concrete (RC) beam was experimentally investigated. For this purpose, a series of beam specimens subjected to four-point loading were tested. More specifically, three different effective depth (d
- Yi, S. T., Kim, J. H. J., and Kim, J. K., "Effect of Specimen Sizes on ACI Rectangular Stress Block for Concrete Flexural Members," ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 99, No. 5, Sep.-Oct. 2002, pp.701-708
- Benjamin, J. R. and Cornell, C. A, "Probability, Statistics, and Decision for Civil Engineers," McGraw-Hill, New York, 1970, Section 4.3.
- IMSL, Library, Edition 8, IMSL, Inc., Sixth Floor, NBC Building, 7500 Bellaire Blvd., Houston, Texas 77036.
- Kim, J. K and Eo, S. H., Park, H. K, "Size Effect in Concrete Structures without Initial Crack," Fracture Mechanics : Application to Concrete, SP-118, ACI, Detroit, 1989, pp.179-196.
- 한국콘크리트학회, "콘크리트구조설계기준", 1999. pp.222.
- Hubert, R., "Research towards a General Flexural Theory for Structural Concrete," ACI Journal, Proceedings, Vol. 57, No.1, July 1960, pp.1-28.
- Bazant, Z. P., "Identification of Strain-Softening Constitutive Relation from Uniaxial Tests by Series Coupling Model for Localization," Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 19, 1989, pp.973-977. https://doi.org/10.1016/0008-8846(89)90111-7
- Kim, J. K., Yi, S. T., and Kim, J. H. J., "Effect of Specimen Sizes on Flexural Compressive Strength of Concrete," ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 98, No. 3, May-Jun. 2001, pp.416-424.
- Hognestad, E. Hanson, N. W., and McHenry, D., "Concrete Stress Distribution in Ultimate Strength Design," Journal of ACI, Proceedings, Vol. 27, No. 4, Dec. 1955, pp.455-479.
- Nilson, A. H. and Slate, F. O., "Structural Properties of Very High Strength Concrete," Second Progress Report, Department of Structural Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, 1979, pp.62
- Hillerborg, A., "Fracture Mechanics Concepts Applied to Moment Capacity and Rotational Capacity of Reinforced Beams," Proc. Int. Conf. Fracture and Damage Mechanics of Concrete and Rock, Vienna, 1988, pp.233-240.
- Kim, J. K., Yi, S. T., and Yang, E. I., "Size Effect on Flexural Compressive Strength of Concrete Specimens," ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 97, No.2, Mar.-Apr. 2000, pp.291-296.
- Kim, J. K. and Eo, S. H., "Size Effect in Concrete Specimens with Dissimilar Initial Cracks," Magazine Concrete Research, Vol. 42, No. 153, 1990, pp.233-238. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.1922.214.171.124
- Bazant, Z. P., "Size Effect in Blunt Fracture : Concrete, Rock Metal, " Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, Vol. 110, No. 4. Apr. 1984, pp.518-535. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1984)110:4(518)