- Volume 3 Issue 2
In this paper, we present a sliding mode control strategy for the re-orientation maneuver of rigid spacecraft containing rotating wheels. The wheels are considered as internal devices, and external inputs are employed for generation of control commands. The formulation is developed for a general case while particular example is applied to pitch bias momentum spacecraft with a single momentum wheel. The resultant control commands are used to take the gyroscopic effects into account which are caused by the rotating wheels. The controller designed demonstrates that the nutational motion of the pitch bias momentum spacecraft is effectively controlled. It is also assumed that the external control torque device is of on-off nature, and pulse width modulation technique is applied to construct proper control torque history.
Spacecraft attitude control;sliding mode control;attitude quaternion;bias momentum stabilization;roll/yaw coupling
- Utkin, V.l., "Variable Strucuture Systems with Sliding Modes", IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. AC-22,, 1977, pp. 212-222.
- Hung, J., and Gao, W., "Variable structure control: A survey", IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 40, 1993, pp. 2-22 https://doi.org/10.1109/41.184817
- Vadali, S., "Variable structure control of spacecraft large-angle maneuvers", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 1998, pp. 262-270.
- Dwyer III, T., and Sira-Rarnirez, H., "Variable-structure control of spacecraft attitude maneuvers", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 1998, pp. 262-270.
- Chen, Y., and La, S., "Sliding mode controller design for spacecraft attitude tracking maneuvers", IEEE Transaction on Aerospace and Electronics, 1993, pp. 1328-1333.
- Lo, S.C., and Chen, Y.P., "Smooth Sliding-Mode Control for Spacecraft Attitude Tracking Maneuvers", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 18, No.6, 1995, pp.1345-1349. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.21551
- Cras sidis, J.L., and Markley, F.L., "Sliding Mode Control using Modified Rodrigues Parameters", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 19, No.6, 1996, pp.1381-1383. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.21798
- Boskovic, J.D., Li, S.M., and Mehra, R.K., "Robust Adaptive Variable Structure Control of Spacecraft Under Control Input Saturation" Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 24, No.1, 2001, pp. 14-22. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.4704
- Cheon, I.J., "A Quaternion Approach to Variable Structure Control of Spacecraft Attitude Tracking", Annual Spring Meeting of The Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Science, May, 2000, pp. 211-214.
- Sidi, M.J., Spacecraft Dynamics and Control, Cambridge University Press, 1997.