- Volume 3 Issue 2
In the course of missile system design, jet plume impingement is encountered in designing airframe as well as launchers, requiring careful investigation of its effect on the system. In the present paper, recent works on such topic are presented to demonstrate usefulness of CFD results in helping design the hardware. The jet impinging flow structure exhibits such complex nature as shock shell, plate shock and Mach disk depending on the flow parameters. The main parameters are the ratio of the jet pressure to the ambient pressure and the distance between the nozzle and the wall. In the current application, the nozzle contour and the pressure ratio are held fixed, but the jet impinging distance is varied to illuminate the characteristics of the jet plume with the distance. The same methodology is then applied to a complex vertical launcher system (VLS), capturing its flow structure and major design parameter. These applications involving jets are thus hoped to demonstrate the usefulness and value of CFD in designing a complex structure in the real engineering environment.
jet impingement;CFDS scheme;VLS internal flow;VLS system design
- Gummer, J. H., and Hunt, B. L., "The Impingement of a Uniform, Axisymmetric, Supersonic jet on a Perpendicular Flat Plate," Aeronautical Quarterly, Vol. 12, 1971, pp.403-420.
- Donaldson, C. DUP, Snedeker, R. S., "A study of free jet Impingement. Part 1. Mean properties of free and impinging jets," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 45, No.2, 1971, pp.281-319. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112071000053
- Knight, C. V., "Experimental Investigation of Two-Dimensional, Supersonic Flow Impingement on a Normal Surface," AIAA Journal, Vol. 11, No.2, 1973, pp.233-235. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.6732
- Kalghatgi, G. T., and Hunt, B. L., "Occurrence of Stagnation Bubble in Supersonic jet Impingement Flows," The Aeronautical Quarterly, Vol. 27, No.3, Aug. 1976, pp. 169-185. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0001925900007678
- Lamont, P. J., and Hunt, B.L., "The Impingement of Underexpanded axisymmetric jets on Wedges," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 76, part 2, 1976, pp. 307-336. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112076000657
- Zien, T.F., and Driftmyer, R. T., "Two-Dimensional Supersonic Jet Impingement on a Flat Plate," AIAA Journal, Vol. 17, No.1, 1979, pp, 4-5. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.61054
- Pamadi, B.L., "On the Impingement of Supersonic Jet on a Normal Flat Surface," Aeronautical Quarterly, 1982, pp.199-218.
- Lamont, P. J., and Hunt, B.L., "The Impingement of Under-expanded Jet Interaction with a Plane Obstacle," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 100, No.3, 1980, pp.471-511. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112080001255
- Iwamoto, J., "Impingement of Under-Expanded Jets on a Flat Plate," Journal of Fluid Engineering, Vol. 112, No.2, June 1990, pp. 179-184. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2909385
- Masuda, W. and Moriyama, E., "Aerodynamic Characteristics of Underexpanded Coaxial Impinging Jets, " JSME International Journal, Series B, Vol. 37, No.4, 1994, pp.769-775. https://doi.org/10.1299/jsmeb.37.769
- Al-Qutub, A. M., and Budair, M. O., "Experiments of the Flow Over a Flat Surface Impinged by a Supersonic jet," AlAA Paper 95-2935.
- Alvi, F.S., and Iyer, K G., "Mean and Unsteady Flowfield Properties of Supersonic Impinging Jets with Lift Plates," AlAA Paper 99-1829, 5th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, 10-12 May 1999.
- Rubel, A., "Inviscid Axisymmeetric Jet Impingement with Recirculating Stagnation Regions," AIAA Journal, Vol. 21, No.3, March 1983, pp.351-357. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.8079
- Rizk, M.H. and Menon, S., "Numerical Simulation of Impinging Jets," AlAA 24th Aerospace Science Meeting, Jan.6-9, 1986,Reno, Nevada, AIAA Paper 86-0279.
- Kim, K H., and Chang, K S., "Three-Dimensional Stru cture of a Supersonic j et Impinging on an Inclined Plate," Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 31, No.5, Sep.-Oct., 1994, pp.778-782. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.26512
- Chow, W.L., Ke, Z.P., and Lu, J.Q., "The Interaction between a jet and a Flat Plate-an Inviscid Analysis," Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 117, 1995, pp. 623-627. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2817313
- Kitamura, S., and Iwamoto, J., "Numerical Analysis of Supersonic Impinging jet," Trans. Japan Soc. Aero. Space Sci. Vol. 41, No. 132, 1998, pp.57-64.
- Sakakibrara, Y., and Iwamoto, J., "Numerical Study of Oscillation Mechanism in Uderexpanded Jet Impinging on Plate," Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 120, Sep. 1998, pp. 477-481. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2820687
- S. K Hong and K S. Lee, "Simulation of Jet Plume Impinging onto a Duct," ISABE 97-7184, AIAA ISOABE (International Society for Air Breathing Engines) Symposium Papers, Sep. 7-12, 1997, Chattanooga, Tenneessee, USA, pp. 1359-1365.
- K S. Lee, S. K Hong, S. O. Park, "Internal Flow Characteristics of VLS type Canister," Preceedings of The First National Congress on Fluids Engineering, Sep. 1-2, 2000, Muju, Korea.
- J.J. Bertin, R.S. Bertin, and A. Yung, "The Launch-Tube Flow-Field for a Vertical Launching System," AlAA Paper 88-0332.
- K S. Lee, S. K Hong and S. O. Park, "Improvement in Flux-Difference Splitting Algorithm for Accurate and Robust Flow Simulation," Computational Fluid Dynamics Journal, Japan, Vol. 10, No.2, July 2001.
- Lombard, C. K, Oliger, J. Yang, J. Y. and Davy, W. C. "Conservative Supra-Characteristics Method for Splitting the Hyperbolic Systems of Gasdynamics with Computed Boundaries for Real and Perfect Gases," AIM-82-0837, June 1982.
- Lombard, C. K, et aI., "Multi-Dimensional Formulation of CSCM-An Upwind Flux Difference Eigenvector Split Method for the Compressible Navier-Stokes Equations", AlAA-83-1895, AlAA 6th CFD Conference, July 1983.
- Quirk, J. J., "A Contribution to the Great Riemann Solver Debate," Intl. J. for Numerical Methods in Fluids, Vol. 18, 1994, pp. 555-574. https://doi.org/10.1002/fld.1650180603
- Richard Sanders, E. Morano, and M.C. Rduguert, "Multidimensional Dissipation for Upwind Schemes: Stability and Applications to Gas Dynamics," Journal of Computational Physics. 145, 1998, pp. 511-537. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcph.1998.6047
- Liou, M.S., "Mass Flux Schemes and Connection to Shock Instability," Journal of Computational Physics, 160, 2000, pp.623-648. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcph.2000.6478
- Pandolfi, M, and D'ambrosio, D., "Numerical Instabilities in Upwind Methods: Analysis and Cures for the 'Carbuncle' Phenomenon," Journal of Computational Physics, 166, 2001, pp. 271-301,. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcph.2000.6652
- K Matsuno, "A Time-Accurate Iterative Scheme for Solving the Unsteady Compressible Flow Equations," AIAA-89-1992-CCCP, 1992.
- Hong, S. K., Bardina, J, Lombard, C. K., Wang, D. and Codding, W., "A Matrix of 3-D Turbulent CFD Solutions for JI Control with Interacting Lateral and Attitude Thrusters," AIAA 91-2099, Sacramento, June 1991.