- Volume 3 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Numerical Analysis on the Discharge Characteristics of a Liquid Rocket Engine Injector Orifice
- Cho, Won-Kook (Rocket Engine Research Department Korea Aerospace Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Young-Mog (Rocket Engine Research Department Korea Aerospace Research Institute)
- Published : 2002.05.30
A numerical analysis was performed on the fluid flow in injector orifice of a liquid rocket engine. The present computational code was verified against the published data for turbulent flow in a pipe with a sudden expansion-contraction. Considered were the parameters for the flow analysis in an injector orifice: Reynolds number, ratio of mass flow rate of the injector orifice and inlet flow rate, and slant angle of the injector orifice. The discharge coefficient increased slightly as the Reynolds number increased. The slant angle of the injector changed critically the discharge coefficient. The discharge coefficient increased by 7% when the slant angle changed from
- Huzel, D.K and Huang, D.H., Modem engineering for design of liquid-propellant rocket engines, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Inc., 1992.
- Sutton, G.P. and Ross, D.M., Elements: the engineering of rockets, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1976.
- Gill, G.S. and Nurick, W.H., Liquid rocket engine injectors, NASA Space Vehicle Design Criteria (Chemical), NASA SP-8089, NASA Lewis Research Center, Mar 1976.
- Kim, Y -M. and Oh, S.-H., "Computations of the three -dimensional flow field in a tube with sudden contraction (in Korean)," J of the Korean Society Aeronautical Space Sciences, Vol. 25, No. 1, 1997, pp.25-34.
- Kim, Y.-M., "Numerical study on the characteristics of the flow through injector orifice by multi-block computations (in Korean)," Trans. Korea Soc. Mech Engng. B, Vol. 21, No. 3, 1997, pp.414-426.
- Rho, B.J., Oh, J.H., Kang, S.J., Park, S.M. and Kwon, K.C., "A study on atomization characteristics of the double impinging F-O -O -F type injector with four streams for liquid rocket, (in Korean )," J of the Korean Society Aeronautical Space Sciences, Vol. 27, No.7, 1999, pp.112-120.
- Cho, W.K., "Flow analysis in fuel injectors of a liquid rocket (in Korean)," J of the Korean Society of Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol.28 No.8, 2000, pp.115-121.
- Chae, Y.S. et aI., Research and development of KSR-III (III) (in Korean), Vol. 1, Korea Aerospace Research Institute, 2000.
- Ferziger, J.H . and Peric, M, Computational methods for fluid dynamics, Springer-Verlog, 1996.
- Hur, N., Cho, W.K, Yoon, S.Y and Kim, K.H., "A study on the development of general purpose program for the analysis of 3-D fluid flow by using a general non-orthogonal grid sys tem (in Korean )," Trans. Korea Soc. Mech Engng., Vol. 18, No. 12, 1994, pp.3345-3356.
- Leonard, B.P., A stable and accurate convective modelling procedure based on quadratic upstream interpolation, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol.19, 1979, pp.59-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7825(79)90034-3
- Park, B.S., Sung, H.J. and Chung, M.K, "Experimental study on the turbulent flow field in a sudden expan sion-contraction pipe joint (in Korean )," Trans. Korea Soc. Mech Engng., Vol. 13, No.6, 1989, pp.1269-1281.
- Jang, H.C., Sung, H.J. and Choi, H.O., "Curvature-dependent two-equation model for turbulent sudden expansion-contraction pipe joint flows (in Korean)," Trans. Korea Soc. Mech Engng., Vol. 15, No. 5, 1991, pp.1747-1755.
- Cavitating Flow in an Impinging-type Injector vol.31, pp.5, 2003, https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2003.31.5.080