- Volume 5 Issue 2
Purpose: To evaluate the results of the treatment of the supracondylar fractures of the humerus according to the fixation methods in adults Materials and Methods: Seven patients, aged 55 to 52 years (average,69 years), were reviewed after a mean follow-up of 37 months (range, 11-65 months). According to AO classification all fractures were classified as type A2 (simple transverse supracondylar fracture). Six patients underwent closed reduction and one patient, open reduction after failure of closed reduction. Percutaneous fixation with cannulated screws was performed to the 4 patients, per- cuta)leous fixation with Kirschner wires in 3 patients. All except one patients have associated medical problems. The results were assessed based on the Mayo Elbow Performance Score. Results: All the patients with cannulated screw fixation had stable bony union with excellent ranges of motion (mean: 5-125 degrees). All the three patients who received percuatnaous smooth K-wire fixation had nonunion with poor results, one of them had changed into cannulated screw. and then had good result. Conclusion: Although simple supracondylar fracture is similar to the pediatric fracture in nature, it should be firmly fixed with the method such as threaded cannualted screw rather than the simple fixation with K-wires.
- 강창수, 편영식, 손승원, 권영철 : 성인의 상완골 원위부 분쇄골절의 치료. 대한정형외과학회지, 19: 373-381, 1984.
- 노성만, 문은선, 허정태 : 상완골 원위부 분쇄골절에 대한 새로운 금속판을 이용한 내고정 치험-3례 보고-. 대한골절학회지, 5:426-432, 1992.
- 박승림, 김형수, 강준순, 이우형, 이주형, 박승준 : 견고한 내고정 및 조기 관절 운동을 통한 원위 상완골 분쇄골절의 치료. 대한골절학회지, 11: 28-33, 1998.
- 왕기봉, 김휘택, 유총일 : 성인의 상완골 과간 골절에 대한 임상적 고찰. 대한골절학회지, 6: 5-12, 1993.
- 이창주, 조원호, 장호근, 김주성 : 성인의 상완골 원위부 분쇄골절의 수술적 치료에 대 한 임상적 고찰. 대한골절학회지, 4: 15-21, 1991.
- 조덕연, 김영태, 서재곤, 전호승 : 상완골 원위부 불유합 치험 6례. 대한정형외과학회지, 24: 285-294, 1989.
- 최기홍, 강충남, 왕진만, 장훈재 : 성인의 상완골 원위부 분쇄골절의 임상적 고찰. 대한정형외과학회지, 18:869-873, 1983.
- Ackerman G, Jupiter JB: Non-union of fractures of the distal end of the humerus. J Bone Joint Surg, 70A:75-83, 1988.
- Aitken GK, Rorabeck CH: Distal humeral fractures in the adult. Clin Orthop 207:191-197, 1986.
- Browne AO, O 'Riordan M, Quinlan W: Supracondylar fractures of the humerus in adults Injury, 17:184-186, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-1383(86)90330-X
- Cassebaum WH: Operative treatment of T and Y fracture of the lower end of humeurs. Am J Surg, 83:265-278, 1952. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9610(52)90254-7
- Chadwick CJ: The treatment of nonunion to the distal humerus by means of a transcondylar rod: a report of 3 cases. J Shouler Elbow Surg, 9:244-247, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1058-2746(00)90065-X
- Cobb TK, Morrey BF: Total elbow arthroplasty as primary treatment for distal humeral fractures in elderly patients. J Bone Joint Surg, 79A:826-32, 1997.
- Figgie MP, Inglis AE, Mow CS, Figgie HE 3rd: Salvage of non-union of supracondylar fracture of the humerus by total elbow arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg, 71A:1058-65, 1989.
- Gupta R: Intercondylar fractures of the distal humerus in adults. Injury, 27:569-572, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-1383(96)00076-9
- Horne G : Supracondylar fractures of the humerus in adults. J Trauma, 20:71-74, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-198020010-00012
- Jacobson SR, Glisson RR, Urbaniak JR: Comparison of distal humerus fracture fixation: a biomechanical study. J South Orthop Assoc, 6:241-249, 1997.
- Jupiter JB: Complex fractures of the distal part of the humerus and associated complications. J Bone Joint Surg, 76A : 1252-1264, 1994.
- McKee MD, Kim J, Kebaish K, Stephen DJ, Kreder HJ, Schemitsch EH: Functional outcome after open supracondylar fractures of the humerus. The effect of the surgical approach. J Bone Joint Surg, 82B:646-651, 2000.
- McKee MD, Wilson TL, Winston L, Schemitsch EH, Richards RR: Functional outcome following surgical treatment of intra-articular distal humeral fractures through a posterior approach. J Bone Joint Surg, 82A:1701-1707, 2000.
- Moritomo H: Tricortical bone-block grafting for comminuted supracondylar and intercondylar fracture of the elbow in an elderly woman: case report. J Trauma, 51:784-787, 2001 https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-200110000-00028
- Morrey BF: Functional evaluation of the elbow. In Morrey BF (ed). The Ebow and its Disorders, 2nd ed. Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co, 1993.
- Papaioannou N, Babis GC, Kalavritinos J, Pantazopoulos T: Operative treatment of type C intra-articular fractures of the distal humerus: the role of stability achieved at surgery on final outcome. Injury, 26:169-73, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-1383(95)93495-4
- Pereles TR, Koval KJ, Gallagher M, Rosen H: Open reduction and internal fixation of the distal humerus: functional outcome in the elderly. J Trauma, 43:578-84, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-199710000-00003
- Ring D, Jupiter JB : Fractures of the distal humerus. Orthop Clin North Am, 31:103-113, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0030-5898(05)70131-0
- Waddell JP, Hatch J, Richards R: Supracondylar fractures of the humerus-results of surgical treatment. J Trauma, 28:1615-1621, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-198812000-00001